1988 Evinrude 40 Solenoid Good, Has 12 Volts, But Not Energizing

aquatone282

Cadet
This is a brand new solenoid (replaced it thinking the old one was bad).

If I remove the yellow/red wire from the solenoid's S post, 12 volts is present on the wire when the starter switch is put in the start position. But when the yellow-red wire is connected to the solenoid's S post the solenoid will not energize. There is no clicking, no humming, no nothing. There is no voltage on the lead to the starter motor.

I found and replaced a bad ground wire that connected the solenoid to the engine body and confirmed the second ground wire that comes from the harness was good back to the battery negative terminal, but no change. Solenoid still won't energize.

Confirmed the solenoid and ground are good by shorting the solenoid's battery terminal post to its S post. Solenoid energized and the starter engaged.

I am at a loss. Anybody have any clues or suggestions what to check next?

Thanks!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 Evinrude 40 Solenoid Good, Has 12 Volts, But Not Energizing

Are you sure it's a full 12 volts coming to the red/yellow wire when you turn the key to start ??

aquatone282

Cadet

Hi, yes the multimeter reads 12.4 volts when the key is turned to the start position.

I tried running a jumper between the S terminal of the switch to the post on the solenoid and still got nothing.

I also disconnected the accessory, the choke/primer, and even the stop wires from the switch. Still nothing.

New switch, new battery, new solenoid. 12 volts is present on the yellow-red wire when it's disconnected from the solenoid. Reads 0 volts when it's connected. Solenoid works when a jumper wire is placed between the solenoid's battery post and the starter post.

This is going to be something real obvious but I'm at the point where the only thing left is to drag it to the shop and pay somebody to find my oversight.

When the cause is found I'll post it here for laughs and also to hopefully save someone else the same heartburn.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Have you tried replacing the fuse by the starter solenoid to see if it is flakey?

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral

12 volts is present on the yellow-red wire when it's disconnected from the solenoid. Reads 0 volts when it's connected. Solenoid works when a jumper wire is placed between the solenoid's battery post and the starter post.
********************************************************************************

your comment seems to indicate that the 12 volts measured at the (disconnected) selenoid drop to 0 when connected
IMHO this indicates that the 12 volts measured at the disconnected selenoid is actually a 12 volts subjected to a highly resistive path
"Measuring 12.4 volts" at an open ended wire means very little since according to ohms law the open end of a wire (being open air)... is the highest resistance point hence, that is where the highest voltage value is to be found in a resistive circuit.

it does not mean it is usable for you (and the selenoid) because it is fed from a high resistive path unable when connected...to allow sufficient current (amps) to flow and pull the selenoid magnet.

That same selenoid wire should light a 12 volt bulb brightly (one side grounded) if it had enough punch to it !!!

you need to work back to the start switch and eventually to a strong non resistive source of 12 volts nearer the battery origin.
When you jumpered from the selenoid 12 volts battery post.. that was a good source of 12 volts and the selenoid pulled up and the starter spinned.

you need to get a source that same "quality" 12 volts from a similar strong 12 volts with enough amps to pull the selenoid.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Very well put Crosby. Sometimes one forgets. Thank You.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral

I have a feeling we have some corrosion somewhere ..... hope he finds it.

could be just a bad contact inside the neutral switch if any used ...

bypassing by jumpering across it with a piece of wire would prove or disprove it

one diagram shows lots of fuses and contact points to corrode. all need to be polished and tested before buying new parts !!!

Last edited:

aquatone282

Cadet

That's what I've been thinking too. I've eliminated three possible culprits - the battery, the switch, and the solenoid. And since the solenoid would not energize with the jumper connected from the switch's S terminal to the solenoid the next thing to do is run the jumper from the battery to the switch's B post and see what happens.

Thank you Crosbyman - appreciate the help!

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral

if the B post on the switch is solid 12 v from the battery and... you jumper it to the selenoid it should work if symptoms are the same something is wrong with your B post source.

IF God forbit that test fails you wil need to keep working back towards the problem ...eventually you will end up on the +12 battery post !!! and we know that is good

If the B psot test fails you must have a high resistive condition along that wire (if that lead is fused...clean fuse holder clips and use a new fuse) !

keep us posted on findings.

aquatone282

Cadet

Well, I found the (a?) source of the problem.

I ran a jumper from the 12volt post on the solenoid to the B terminal on the switch and the starter fired right up.

I snipped off the ring terminal for the wires that run 12 volts from the solenoid back to the switch, stripped off the insulation and the wire is green. The ring terminal - wire connection was not heat-shrinked, which explains the corrosion.

Ran out of daylight last night, but I guess I'll remove a half-inch at a time until I (hopefully) find clean wire. There's not a lot of slack to work with.

I'll post a follow-up when I've got it running.

Thanks again to everyone for your help!

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral

that wire may have overheated... better check both ends or replace it