Johnson 85EL76 Hard Cold Starting

abillman

Recruit
Hello everyone...

I have a Johnson Seahorse V4 85hp outboard motor #85EL76 that is incredibly difficult to cold start. Once I have it started it runs great. The only way I am able to cold start it is by jumping the already fully charged battery with a jumper pack. I have replaced the battery and the problem still persists. I have checked some of the obvious items such as spark, fuel and compression. I have rebuilt the carbs and the linkage appears to be correct. Again, it runs excellent once it starts and will stay running, works under load and will continue to run great all day as long its not off for more than an hour or two. It seems as though it doesn't have enough amps to start under its own power however I am using a deep cycle marine battery rated at 845 cranking amps.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated. It would be great to leave the jumper pack at home when we hit the lake!

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: Johnson 85EL76 Hard Cold Starting

Also, clean every battery connection "shiney" bright at both ends and make sure they are tight. You may need to get your starter overhauled at a starter shop since the engine needs to turn over at 250/300 RPMS in order to fire correctly. Good luck
"

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Also, clean every battery connection "shiney" bright at both ends and make sure they are tight. You may need to get your starter overhauled at a starter shop since the engine needs to turn over at 250/300 RPMS in order to fire correctly. Good luck
"

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You did not mention the choke. Did you pull the airbox cover off to see if the choke plates are fully closing in both carbs when the key is pushed in? That engine is a bear to start without a functioning choke.

abillman

Recruit

Thanks for the suggestions. I cleaned all of the battery terminals and pulled the silencer cover off to confirm that the choke plates are closing completely. Everything looks good. The surprising part....I left the silencer cover off to start the engine to watch the choke plates and wouldn't you know it the engine started right up without the jumper pack. I let the engine cool off and start again a few times throughout the day and it fired each time. Not sure if this is a coincidence or the culprit but it has never started this easy when it was cold. Is it possible the lack of the silencer cover is making the difference?

Prior to this, my thoughts were that my carbs were having trouble priming and having the jumper pack helped to spin the engine faster to help pull the fuel through. This engine is not equipped with a manual or electric primer like some of the push in key switch systems I have read about.

Any thoughts?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Put the airbox cover back on, then watch the action on the choke plate linkages when the key is depressed...maybe something is hanging up...