04' Evinrude 115 - Smoke and Oil? New Problem

Im_on_a_boat

Recruit
Took the boat out the other day and it smoked REALLY BAD at anything above trolling speed and seemingly anything below full cruising speed. Evinrude 115 (04) on an early 80's Regal Duchesse 166 boat.

Put it in the water and it started smoking really bad. We assumed maybe it just needed to burn soemthing off so we planed out and ran for 5 min pretty close to wide open and it seemed to be fine (although it could have just been that we were cruising fast so the smoke was dispersed enough in the wake to be unnoticeable???? Fished a little at trolling speeds. Completely fine. One the way back to the dock we attempted to "take it easy" at maybe 1/3 speed and I would have sworn something was going to blow up. We had one a lert at one point where the "no oil" light came on. Shut the boat off. Checked the large oil resevoir in the back of the boat... at least half full... started back up... light did not come on again (but we baaabbbiiieeedd it back to the dock).

Took it home and put muffs on it yesterday. Started up... good. Barely engaged prop... good. Gently let on gas until it went to "the next level" (which was NOT gradual) and it shot smoke (maybe white or grey?) out of the prop exhaust and slung oil everywhere (althought this may have just been the slinging of residual sludge in the prop... it was AROUND the back of the boat... no behind it).

I am having a hard time finding any info regarding what might cause this or how to remedy it. If you do any research on the web and mention "smoke" all you get are countless discussions regarding what type of oil people use. While I would LOVE for it to just be an oil problem, I don't see how that makes sense. I topped off the oil about a month ago and have been out several times since then with virtually no smoke. And, this has not been a gradual problem. We went from virtually NO smoke to people around me thought someone was grilling. Something had to change.

Any thoughts/ideas/discussion? I really appreciate your time! Thank you!

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 04' Evinrude 115 - Smoke and Oil? New Problem

Most common way to over oil an engine with VRO/OMS is to under fuel it.
-check for leaking fuel lines/connections, restrictions

Less common way to over oiling is having the oil from reservoir migrate into fuel tank giving a double application of oil
-check color of fuel getting to primer bulb.