1988 johnson 60 HP 3 cylinder nocking sound

1tomtom

Cadet
I purchased this motor 2 days ago thing runs awesome but at idle I can hear a nocking sound not really sure what it is. Could the motor be on its way its way out? Can I continue to run it if it hasn't blow apart yet

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 johnson 60 HP 3 cylinder nocking sound

Need much more information to make a reasonable statement. Exactly what does the "knocking" sound really sound like. Is it a hard loud knock, or a subtle sound..? Does the sound stop as the RPMs are raised, or does the noise drown it out? Does it happen in gear or neutral? So many other questions to ask about the "knock" sound to give any quality suggestions...post more info!

redman09

Cadet

I had a similar problem on my 90 hp johnson and it started happening as I was running down the water way and at first I thought it was my power head but when I got it home I found that it was actually my lower unit, you might want to investigate your lower unit first

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

i would not run this motor you will end up with the con rod knocking a hole in the block one of the con rod bearings is on its way out my advice is change them all & check with a micrometer for wear on the crank shaft

1tomtom

Cadet

Motor only does it at idle runs fine when in gear

1tomtom

Cadet

I just did a compression test and had about 100 in all three cylinders