25hp Johnson Starter

Banoe

Seaman
Hi,

My motor has a bad starter. I have been shopping for a replacement starter and I noticed that there are some low priced starters on line. Likely these starters come from China or some other place. I am wondering if any one has tried to use one of these starters and how it fits/works on their motor?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: 25hp Johnson Starter

Hi,

My motor has a bad starter. I have been shopping for a replacement starter and I noticed that there are some low priced starters on line. Likely these starters come from China or some other place. I am wondering if any one has tried to use one of these starters and how it fits/works on their motor?

Exactly what is wrong with your present starter? If it doesn't turn anymore, is that because the windings are shorted or opened? Or is there a mechanical issue? Because starters, like alternators, can be rebuilt with few parts. If the brushes are gone, buy new ones and replace them. If the starter just doesn't work, disassemble it and see why. Could be something simple and easy to repair... JMHO!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Many starters are declared bad when the real problem is in the cables and connections that supply current. Did you jump a fresh battery directly to the starter?

As gm280 points out, if the starter really is bad you can fix most things that go wrong. Worst case, your starter can be rebuilt for less than the cost of a quality replacement.

Jim311

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I recently bought one of those cheap starters. It's definitely cheaper than the one it replaced but it does the job. My other one was badly corroded inside.