57 18 hp Johnson magneto problems.

I was given this engine by a stranger so I know nothing about it's history. Took it home and washed it and it's a 9 out of 10. Gorgeous original condition. Going over it I checked compression then spark. Compression was great but no spark so I took off the flywheel and there was nothing there. No points, coils, condenser's. Nothing. It looked like someone just gave up on it. I put all new parts in. I have a handful of these old outboards and I love working on them so I have a good idea on what to do. Plugs are J6C's gaped .030. Points at .020 but it will not start. I guess I don't know how to time it and was told these old 18's were critical. I have a great pressure tank, new fuel/air lines and the carb looked rebuilt. I did get it to spit out the lower unit a couple of times so I figure it's timing. I did today also discover someone I assume the same person who abandoned it, put Merc plug lead's on it. I'm thinking they may have reversed them. Does anyone know which mag goes to which cylinder? Where can I get the OMC timing tool? I checked Seaway marine in Seattle and he just said good luck. Can it be timed without one? Tomorrow I will strip it and remove the plate. Check the leads and maybe figure out which goes to which? This thing is gorgeous and I really want to get it running. Sorry about the long threat. Advise? I'm new here so thanks for your patience guys.

Gus-71

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 57 18 hp Johnson magneto problems.

Hi and welcome to iboats!

I understand that you have a strong bright blue spark on both.
Points are condensers are new timing set to .020.
You have not switched the 2 ht wires.
The only adjustment is that little brassplate conected to the ign. plate that opens the carb trottle that's left. I cant remeber it excactly how it's set but you find it here on the forum.
Also check out this link:
youtube.com/watch?v=ga1Cjymj6ms&feature=youtu.be

Some years ago when I fired up my 58 fastwind after a rebuilt. I had some problems. I could prime the pressuretank and see fuel comming in the glass filter bowl, but I had to push it more in order to get the fuel in the carb. even the pushbutton was hard.

Good luck!
Gus

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

F_R on this forum sells the timing fixtures. Quality stuff, I have all of his tools

Frank's Tools

The coil over the carb is the TOP cylinder, and the plug wire from it should go to the top.

lindy46

Captain

The timing fixture will set the points perfectly, but if you gap them to .020" when the rub block is at the high spot on the cam, you should be good to go. Properly set the points and make sure the flywheel key is in place and the engine is "timed". That's all there is to the timing. You may also have to do a link and synch to make sure the carb is properly synchronised to the magneto. But lets make sure you have good spark first.

Thanks for the great info guys. I DID synchronize the carb with ignition so that when the BUTTERFLY on the carb just starts to move the roller is dead on the sync mark. Its as perfect as anyone can get it. I'm almost certain the HL's are reversed as they were replaced at some point with one's off of a Merk. It say's right on them. They were cut too short to reverse them so If they are wrong they need replaced anyway and I will bet they are. This thing is so nice looking and in such great shape when I get it dialed in I will be looking for an era boat to put it and my old 5.5 Johnson on. They are both 57's. Can't thank you guys enough. BTW I did set the points on the mark on the cam that say's top with an arrow. That's not TDC. I checked so I am assuming it the point set mark. Am I wrong? It appears to be the top of the cam lobe.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

The word "TOP" on the cam merely indicates that it is the right way up.You can find TDC by taking out the top plug and turning the flywheel till the piston is at TDC and mark it on the rim.

lindy46

Captain

Position the rub block so it is on the "bump" or high spot on the cam - you can get it close by turning the crank (I put the nut back on the crank and turn the nut clockwise) and then fine tune with the throttle until the point is at it's widest opening. Then set it to .020"

kfa4303

Banned

HI pilot. Welcome to iboats. Super cool motor you've got there. Here are a couple great links that can walk you through a complete magneto rebuild and general tune up. To answer your questions, the front coil (above the carb) fires the top/#1 cylinder, you'll alsol need to use 7mm COPPER CORE spark plug wires. You can get the 2 coils and a tune up kit right here at iboats for about $20 each. Holler if you get stuck.

Maintaining Johnson E & FD Serie

3 HP Evinrude Lightwin Ignition System Tune-Up 1952-1967

1957 Johnson FDE-11 18 hp Outboard Motor Parts

Wow! Thanks for the great links. I live about 60 miles west of Seattle so I can get to Seaway marine for allot of things. They have a good selection of new old stock. I love these old outboards and have a small collection. I actually have a really nice and clean 52 3hp Lightwin so the link is really handy. I did find today my suspicions were right. Whoever has been working on it had the plug leads reversed. Now I have a dead new coil so back to that. I will tinker with it more tomorrow. Thanks again.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Quick tip: the highest point on the cam is directly in line with the crankshaft keyway. Much easier to align than trying to eyeball the high spot.