super cool 1963 75 horse starflite evinrude????

joebafet

Cadet
I recently picked up a 63 starflite evinrude 75 horse mdl# 75393E for next to nothing. Motor and electric shifter are clean and in good shape, but i cant seem to find out if its possible to remove the drive shaft extension to make it a short drive? obviously it would require a shorter drive shaft and other "shorter" parts, anyone done this before? if its possible? any idea where to look for parts?

lindy46

Captain
Re: super cool 1963 75 horse starflite evinrude????

Sure, not that difficult. Everything is 5" shorter so you'll need to locate a short driveshaft, and either locate shorter water tubes or cut off the existing ones. If it's electric shift, you don't have a shift rod to worry about. You may also need a shorter bolt or two.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Some of those motors had extensions on the water tubes and a driveshaft cover, which were easily removeable. Also they had 5 " midsection extensions, which unbolted. If your motor has those, all you would need is a shorter driveshaft. There was a place around the corner from me in Bayville, NJ (Trixie's landing) which likely had those parts and lots more. We had a bad storm here (Sandy), so I don't know their status. You might give them a call....

joebafet

Cadet

Thank you for your help lindy and chris! I will give them a call.

joebafet

Cadet

Thank you! Lindy, Is that a dorsett in you profile pic looks like the boat Im restoring! thats why Ii got the starflite, matches the boat!

lindy46

Captain

Thank you! Lindy, Is that a dorsett in you profile pic looks like the boat Im restoring! thats why Ii got the starflite, matches the boat!

1961 Starcraft Arrow

joebafet

Cadet

Im having trouble finding any info on the short drive shaft for my motor?? i have the part #379882 for the standard length but cant find the # on the shorter one? any ideas?

Louch

Recruit

Im having trouble finding any info on the short drive shaft for my motor?? i have the part #379882 for the standard length but cant find the # on the shorter one? any ideas?

Het just saw your post the part number 379882 is the short shaft. 379883 is the long shaft. I'm also looking for the short shaft, have you had any luck finding one?

Cheers, Gus