setting brass screws on carberators for 1969 55 hp evinrude

ryniguez1977

Cadet
i was told to set them all at 2 and a half turns but i end up with fuel on the plugs and would smoke out of the exhaust then get flooded and would not start turn over but not start i then started at 0 again and slowly increased each one till no gas was on plugs and very little smoke comes out of exhaust. am i doing the right thing.each setting is different by a quarter to half turns from 0 .hope someone can help me

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: setting brass screws on carberators for 1969 55 hp evinrude

The book says begin at 5/8 turn out and adjust from there. Don't make it complicated, set them to where it idles the best. If you have dry plugs and no smoke, it probably is too lean. I'm surprised it isn't lean sneezing. But you probably are close on target

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

Note 1: As a final double check setting of the slow speed valve(s), if the engine has more than one carburetor, do not attempt to gradually adjust all of the valves/carburetors at the same time. Do one at a time until you hit the above response (die out or spit back), then go on to the next valve/carburetor. It may be necessary to back out "all" of the slow speed adjustable needle valves 1/8 turn before doing this final adjustment due to the fact that one of the valves might be initially set ever so slightly lean.

Note 2: If the engine should be a three (3) cylinder engine with three (3) carburetors, start the adjustment sequence with the center carburetor.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

ryniguez1977

Cadet

what is lean sneezing. :confused:..i now have the motor at a good sounding idle with little smoke and very little fuel on the plugs this is a 3 cyl my concern is the bottom plug gets hot as the other two do not warm but not hot.and as i give it throttle more smoke and louder blah blah is this normal. these question may sound silly but its my first boat and never worked on one till now, so i apoligize if i sound like a rookie but well i am...:lol: by being to lean does that mean not enough gas in that cyl or to much.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

First, wetness and smoke are normal. Ok, EXCESS smoke and fouling are not. But think about it, the oil that you put in the gas goes through the cylinders to lubricate them. How is it going to lubricate if it is dry? The smoke is caused by that oil burning in there. Again, if it were ALL to burn, where is the lubrication?

The fuel/air mixture passes through the crankcase on it's way to the cylinders. Lean sneezing is where the fuel/oil mix ignites in the crankcase before it gets to the cylinders. Sneeze is a pretty good description of what it sounds like. Or a suppressed pop or backfire. There is a narrow window in the ratio of fuel to air that will ignite and burn efficiently. Getting within that narrow window is why you are adjusting the carburetors in the first place. Too lean (not enough gas) causes sneezing at idle. The story is different at high speeds, where too lean can silently cause serious engine damage. Fortunately, your motor has fixed high speed jets, so you don't have to worry about adjusting them. But they do have to be clean in order to do their job of metering the gas. The idle mixture needles you are adjusting have very little if anything to do with high speed operation.

Hope this helps.

ryniguez1977

Cadet

thanx a lot i really appreciate it ya i dont have any sneezing going on but i adjusted them till idle sounds good and little oil is on plugs sounds good ill see going to lake this weekend and find out.. the last time i took it out it had no power it would go but no speed i hope this will help that. thanx again..supreme marine....

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

No power and your plugs aren't warm? Have you checked the compression and spark on the cylinders that aren't getting warm?

ryniguez1977

Cadet

they are warm one the bottom just gets hotter then the rest have spark on all 3 dont know how to check compression

ryniguez1977

Cadet

well folks took it out to the lake and of course at first it didnt start but the adjusted it and got it to kick on sonded good and all till put it in forward then would not go anywhere would not engage put it in reverse engaged fine now what the hell is going on with this thing....so pissed ....any advise out there... besides sinking it...

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I suspect that you may be using a "Straight Electric Shift" switch on that "Hydro Electric Shift" lower unit.

Straight electric shift switch:
Forward = 12v to forward electromagnetic coil.
Neutral = No voltage to either electromagnetic coil.
Reverse - = 12v to reverse electromagnetic coil.

Hydro electric shift switch:
Forward = No voltage to either electromagnetic solenoid.
Neutral = 12v to one electromagnetic solenoid (green wire).
Reverse = 12v to both electromagnetic solenoids (green and blue wires).

ryniguez1977

Cadet

well got it home and it turned right on pushed forward button and engaged right away. pushed nuetral and engaged pushed rev and nothing now no reverse....so confused.. any suggestions out there

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Trouble shoot with a volt/ohm meter, using the voltage setup as listed on the shift switch setup on reply #10.