1976 55 HP Johnson Control Box Locked Up

BlueBeast

Seaman
Hi,
I cannot move the lever into reverse. It just locks up like its hitting a bolt or something. I don't understand it was working fine unit I reinstalled it back on the the panel after re doing the interior of my boat. Anyone have any idea whats wrong before I start taking this thing apart?

Thanks

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: 1976 55 HP Johnson Control Box Locked Up

Have someone turn the prop with their hand while you ease it into reverse. Did you remove the cables from either the box or the motor?

BlueBeast

Seaman

I removed the cables from the box.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I removed the cables from the box.

You can very easily remove the shifter attachment at the motor and then see if the control box is still locked up. That will tell you if the problem is in the control box and cable or not...

BlueBeast

Seaman

I took the panel off and the shifter arm off. Its locked.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Were you having a problem with the controls or replacing the cables? You most likely put it back together incorrectly if it worked before. Sounds like something is jammed up, maybe one of the cams. I've had mine apart a few times replacing cables and parts that broke. Here is a schematic of the control box, you have the same one I do on my 77 Johnson 55. I would take it back apart and look for something broken or out of it's place.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...E&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Remote+Control

BlueBeast

Seaman

IMG_1562.jpgIMG_1563.jpgIMG_1564.jpg Ok so thanks for everyone's help. I decided to rebuild my control box. After cleaning every little part and re greasing, the controls work great. I guess it was locking up due to lack of lubrication. Works good now. Thanks