Evinrude '72 hydro-electric shift, 50 hp-- shift solenoid question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

kippstakes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hello. just mounted my 72 evinrude elect. shift 50hp and ran into a strange problem. engine runs like a top, but won't shift into forward or reverse gears (which is odd considering that forward gear requires no power to lower unit, or so i've heard). what i can't figure out is that when the motor isn't running, i get power to the reverse and neutral settings (on the green and blue leads), but when the engine IS running, my voltmeter indicates no signal- which i assume is why the prop isn't spinning despite remote buttons being pushed. could it be the diode? i am currently running 90 gear lube, and preparing to switch it out to type C lube- tho i don't think this would make a difference regarding the remote's signal output.
a little confused.. suggestions??
thank you

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude '72 hydro-electric shift, 50 hp-- shift solenoid question..

(Hydro Electric Shift System Explained)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE 1 -The ohm reading of the individual shift solenoids should be between 5 to 6 ohms. The ohm meter should be set to low ohms. The shift wires leading to the solenoids must be disconnected when being tested.

NOTE 2 - The solenoid plunger measurement must be made with the solenoid placed within the lower unit. The measurement must be approximately 1/64" beneath the top surface of the solenoid... NOT above the solenoid surface nor any lower than 1/64" of the solenoid surface. This factory measurement is critical and will not ever change UNLESS someone has tinkered with it.

The shifting setup of the lower unit is what's called a "Hydro Electric Shift", which is quite complex consisting of voltage being applied to solenoids in the lower unit which in turn change oil passages via a oil pump that supplies various pressure on a spring loaded shifter dog. The wires leading to the lower unit (at the powerhead) are "Green" and "Blue". The engine must be running or cranking over in order to shift out of forward gear.

You CAN NOT use HI VIS lube in that lower unit. You MUST USE what OMC calls "Premium Blend" lube, commonly called "Type C". (A thinner lube)

Note: The engine must be running OR have the driveshaft turning by some other means in order for the engine to shift.

In neutral, you need 12v to the "Green" wire.
In reverse, you need 12v to both wires, the "Green" one and the "Blue" one.
In forward, there should be no voltage to either wire. (The spring loaded shifter dog forces the unit into forward gear)

To check the lower unit for proper shifting to make sure you have no trouble there, remove the spark plugs to avoid problems and to allow a higher cranking speed.

This next step eliminates the actual shift switch in case problems may exist there.... Disconnect the blue & green wires at the knife connectors (the rubber insulated boots) leading to the lower unit at the powerhead, then using jumpers, take voltage direct from the starter solenoid to apply voltage to the "Green" wire for neutral, then both wires 'Green" & "Blue" for reverse (Remember the engine must be cranking over in order to shift).
With no voltage applied, the unit should be in forward. No need for a ground jumper... the lower unit's already grounded. You may crank the engine with the key switch or by energizing the with a jumper wire.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

kipp, you certainly describe some wierd symptoms. What Joe said is good troubleshooting advice. Here are just a couple more comments. As you know, with no power to the lower unit wires, and not running, it should be in forward gear. If it isn't, there is a mechanical problem inside the gearcase, probably a stuck piston in the oil pump. That is caused by neglect. The oil MUST be changed frquently to flush out the normal wear grit. Once the piston jams up, there is no way to get it loose short of disassembly.

I think you understand the control switch pretty well. If it isn't doing what it is supposed to do, you will have to figure out why. I don't think the '72 50hp has a shift diode in the control. Are you sure you have the correct control? Does it have a yellow plug?

kippstakes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thank you for the help, guys! i appreciate the quick response and comprehensive, detailed info. i'll get the gear oil changed out and give er another shot. hopefully it's not stuck parts, but i guess it wouldn't hurt to yank the lower unit and clean it out.

regarding the diode, F_R, i think there is a blocking diode which hangs from the terminal block and is integrated into the shift circuit via purple/green wire from the remote. from what i've heard the diode prevents the engine from 'dropping'/defaulting into forward gear, out of neutral when you key the engine off but it's still winding down. i'm not sure about the yellow plug tho. don't think i have one.
diode or not i'm pretty sure it wouldn't effect shifting in the way mentioned, so i'm not too worried about it.

i've been scraping the web for repair advice and info all these years and had no idea this forum existed. what an excellent resource!
thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.