1971 60 hp Evinrude Link & Sync

IWishMyBoatRan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Rebuilt my carbs, neighbor messed with all the throttle,cams, etc.. Can't get it to start now..

Can someone please explain to me the link and sync procedure?

Photos/Videos of this process would be amazing.. I think it's been my problem all along.

I'm not too keen on boat motor "terminology", so please reply accordingly lol

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1971 60 hp Evinrude Link & Sync

Back the cam away from the throttle roller temporarily.

The linkages between the carburetors.... have them set so that neither of them are tight which will make it impossible to synchronize the butterflies. You want that linkage to be set so that the butterflies just start to open at the same time, and also close fully at the same time.

Now, set the throttle roller so that the scribe mark on the cam is dead center with the throttle cam roller just as the throttle butterflies start to open.

Hopefully your friend did not change the measurement between the vertical throttle arm and the cam. If he did, you will need to set it as pictured below.

76_70HPSYNCLINKAGE1a.jpg

IWishMyBoatRan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks
Yes, he adjusted the idle screw, he disconnected the throttle cable, he adjusted that round plastic wheel on the throttle cable, nothing is hooked up... Ugh

Will these things in the wrong spot prevent the engine from starting?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Will these things in the wrong spot prevent the engine from starting?

Probably wouldn't stop it from starting unless the choke wasn't hooked up or if the choke was manually closed and left that way, it just wouldn't run very good.

Start trouble shooting via the basics... remove the spark plugs, check the compression (should be 100 psi+), with the plugs still removed, check the spark which should jump a 1/4 to 3/8"" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! Does it?

If you have compression and spark as noted above, I'd suspect something is being overlooked in the carburetor area.

IWishMyBoatRan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It wasn't running when I bought it, so I bought a new coil (it doesn't have the power pack on it, converted to a coil).
It fired up and ran, idled rear rough though.

So I bought a carb kit for all three carbs.
Rebuilt them, several times. Had my neighbor check and make sure I had everything together and adjusted as such.
It fired, ran fine on muffs, took it to the lake, it idled bad.. Then as I was getting onto a plane, it died and would not start again.

Neighbor came by, held the choke slightly open and it would start and run, but that was the only way.

Had a spark test done on it, the boat guy said it was a strong blue park on all three.
Compression was 90, 110, 120

Replaced ALL the fuel lines and replaced the fuel pump.
Was told my problem may be the fuel pump diaphragm so I just got a new one.

I did the carbs as you suggested in your write up.

I was in the process of doing a decarb (1 gallon of fuel mix:eek:il to 3/4 can of sea foam)

It ran for 10 minutes, died and will not restart for the life of me.
Neighbor had adjusted all the idle/throttle parts previously.

I just got back in from taking the carbs back off for the 100000th time and making sure it was all clean and clear and all the floats were set, needles set, etc.

No leaks in any of my fuel lines at all.

I'm so confused and no one locally wants to touch this motor.

Decarbing and fogging low cylinder was my goal, just to get it up and running "enough".

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

You show a 20 psi difference between the highest and the lowest cylinder compression reading... not good, but perhaps the decarb process will bring that low cylinder up to par.

Clean the spark plugs, double check the spark and compression. Set the points as follows... and be sure to torque the flywheel nut to 105 foot pounds, otherwise the flywheel key will shear and throw the engine out of time.

NOTE: On that model, do not attempt to set the points to .020!

If you adjust the linkages as stated in a previous post, and you have compression and spark... the engine has to run UNLESS something has been overlooked in the carburetors, the crankcase is flooded with fuel, water in the gas, something of that nature.

(Point Setting Of Battery Capacitance Discharge)
( Ignition Models - 1968 thru 1972)
(Some have points - Some do not)
(Joe Reeves)

The points must be set to .010 but no wider than .010..... BUT in some instances due to a possible slight inaccurately machined crankshaft lobe or a slight offset of one set of points, a setting slightly less than .010 would be required as follows.

Whether the crankshaft has two or three lobes, when setting the points, check the setting of the points on each individual lobe by rotating the crankshaft by hand.

You may find that setting one set of points to .010 on one lobe, then turning the crankshaft to the next lobe, the gap measures .011 or .012 (too wide). This is where you would need to close that gap down to the required .010. A gap too wide can result in a ignition miss when throttle is applied.

Bottom line, pertaining to the point setting at the various lobe locations____ .010, .010, .009, is okay____ .010, .010, .011 is not!

IWishMyBoatRan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Joe, good morning!
Thanks for getting back to me.
I went out this morning, cleaned the crud out of the spark plugs (which are NGK or something), backed the carbs out 2 turns instead of 1 1/2 and it fired right up, ran for about 10 minutes, then died. Pulled plugs, cleaned, replaced, fired right back up again, ran.. died..

I have some CHAMPION L76V on the way.

IWishMyBoatRan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

By the way, I have to roll the throttle open and make the cam open just slightly before it will start... Ideas?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

By the way, I have to roll the throttle open and make the cam open just slightly before it will start... Ideas?

That (above) is within the normal start up procedure.

The ignition switch of today has a "key Push In" feature which engages the choke or fuel primer solenoid. The switches of yesterday do not have this feature but rather have a separate choke switch (Info to make sure we're on the same page).

The Champion L76V is a surface gap plug which really has no heat range. It is prone to fouling HOWEVER, if it works for you, fine. If it gives you problems, try the Champion L77JC4 or QL77JC4 spark plug and gap it at .030.

Proper startup procedure: Pump fuel primer bulb up hard, advance the throttle slightly to take the engine off the dead idle setting, turn the key to the START position and ENGAGE the choke until the engine starts and fires, then release the choke and key to have the key return to the normal RUN position.

NOTE: I notice that I didn't advise you on the carburetor setting (finicky model!) as follows. Study it closely.

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

Note 1: As a final double check setting of the slow speed valve(s), if the engine has more than one carburetor, do not attempt to gradually adjust all of the valves/carburetors at the same time. Do one at a time until you hit the above response (die out or spit back), then go on to the next valve/carburetor. It may be necessary to back out "all" of the slow speed adjustable needle valves 1/8 turn before doing this final adjustment due to the fact that one of the valves might be initially set ever so slightly lean.

Note 2: If the engine should be a three (3) cylinder engine with three (3) carburetors, start the adjustment sequence with the center carburetor.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

IWishMyBoatRan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks. I just ordered L77JC4 --- I could have sworn I read in a post you wrote about the other plugs being the right ones, ah well.
Easy fix since the others had not shipped out yet. ( I hope ).

I have that carb setting you wrote memorized lol

I come down to the west coast of florida all the time.. Might bring my boat with me next time lol

IWishMyBoatRan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

new plugs, vroooooooooom.. fired right up, now decarbing it