How to remove powerhead 83 evinrude 140

aviator79

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1983 evinrude 140 Model E140TRXCTE. It has been sitting for 3 years, but last year I cleaned and rebuilt carbs Intake manifold, silancer etc..., rebuilt fuel pump (which is leaking I think out of center mounting screw so maybe I forgot an oring there). I completly tore down trim/tilt and replaced every oring and the motor. Am using a lower end off an 84 (E140TXCRD) which is a bigger lower unit and has a 15 spline prop shaft. Was able to get it to fit with just some modifications to the shift rod. New water pump and drained and filled with royal purple.

Anyways so the motor has 100 psi compression on all 4 cylinders and it starts and runs good. However, I had water coming out between the lower unit and mid section and out the prop. Took lower end back off as I assumed it was leaking out between the pump and the water pipe. But I hooked as hose to the water pipe and it is leaking inside the midsection. So I have to remove my mid section to get access to the water tube. The manual says to remove power head and lower end. Lower end is off. I have started to remove power head, but not sure if I am missing something. It says to remove flywheel, but I do not see why that has to be done to remove power head. I did not remove starter, coil packs or power packs either. I have removed the wires. I got the 3 long bolts on each side loose that go from mid section up into block. The head snapped off on the one on the left rear. I removed the two nuts from the rear and the 3 small bolts that go down to mid section in rear. I removed the 2 bolts up front on each side as well. So I am just wondering if there is more that I need to do to pull powerhead off as the 2 manuals I have just dont give enough detail for somone that has never dont this. I feel It may be ready to come off and I may just have to drill out the bolt that had the head snap off some so it can come off with the powerhead, but I am not sure.

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to remove powerhead 83 evinrude 140

In regards to the LU you installed it will not work correctly, because the gear ratio is different you will not see correct WOT etc..

On my 87 140 v4 here is what needs to be done to separate the power head from the midsection.
No flywheel removal
Drop the LU if you need access inside the exhaust housing etc if not its optional
Remove the lower cowling skirts or pans whatever they call it ...
Disconnect the shift rod
12 Bolts plus a stud needs to be removed as shown on mine as an example ...

Attachments

• DSCF0015-2.jpg
    DSCF0015-2.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 1

aviator79

Seaman Apprentice

great so now I have to buy a new lower end again...PITA...I always have a hard time finding 25" ones. The one I was going to use is off an 87 120hp. Strange the ratio changed...
So mine is slightly different as I dont have a stud in the back like that I just had 3 bolts. So as far as I can tell I got everything out except that one bolt that the head snapped off. I have a lift on the powerhead and the front comes off but the back is still tight. It seems like I am missing a bolt but I guess it is just the bolt that sheared that his holding it down still. Its weird though as both sides in the back still wont budge. I am going to continue to try and drill it out or use air hammer to punch it up thru and lift it off with the powerhead. Looks like your hole is inlarged too. You have the same problem?

Attachments

• DSCF0015-2.jpg
    DSCF0015-2.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 0

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had no issues since this was a fresh water motor no corrosion whatsoever, As for the LU if you had an existing 15 spline unit on the engine then swapping in a 15 spline will be fine, if the original LU was 13 spline and you swap in a 15 spline it will not work as mentioned.
I went through hell with a bastardized engine figuring this stuff out. Some of the sea drive units were shipped with 15 spline etc...To this day you see on ebay wrong throttle bodies and head selling for 120 & 140 etc. I spent a great deal of money personally to acquire a engine from an original owner, and rip it apart and restored it just to educate myself. My engine starts and run like its from the factory. I will never get rid of my engine unless the EPA forces my hand.
Remember you can apply some heat in moderation to this area just be careful with it . I am sure its the broken bolt or corrosion around the stud holding it. Good luck ...Don't rush take your time...

aviator79

Seaman Apprentice

I gave up. Took engine off and parting it out and selling Boston Whaler as hull only.
Thanks for trying.

aviator79

Seaman Apprentice

Well I dont think boat is going to sell without an engine so I will attempt to drill out the snapped bolts and get this thing fixed. PITA...

aviator79

Seaman Apprentice

does anyone have the lower motor mounts they are selling? Part 391709 or 0391709?

aviator79

Seaman Apprentice

I cannot get this appart. I have been putting muratic acid down the bolt hole that snapped the head off to eat away at the corrosion but still have had no luck. The front of the power head is loose, but due to the snapped bolt and the two rear studs that I took the nuts off in the back which also seem corroded in place I cannot get the powerhead to come off. I have drilled down the bolt just past the exhaust housing but I do not think I can drill it the rest of the way out. That is like another 3". I have spend $300 on cobalt drill bits and long drill bits and a MAP gas torch and a big hammer and punches but have still not gotten the bolt to budge. If I could get the exhaust housing off then I could drill the bolt out the rest of the way, but I cannot do that due the two front bolts holding it that you cannot get off until the powerhead is off. PITA! I am about to throw in the towel again...

V153

Lieutenant Commander

I have a longshaft gearcase to fit your motor. Just changed oil & pressure tested. PM or email if interested.

Doug

aviator79

Seaman Apprentice

if I can ever get this power head off maybe... but honestly I don't see how its never going to happen.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

if I can ever get this power head off maybe... but honestly I don't see how its never going to happen.
Not trying to sound like a smart a** but it ain't never gonna happen if you keep soaking the bolts with muriatic acid. Where on earth didja ya learn that! Ever hear of penetrating oil? Aka 'liquid wrench', PB Blaster, etc? Mebbe add a lil heat?

Respectfully.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

I had one lately like that. Just the one seized in bolt holding it tight.
Let your lift go slack and then drill in upwards sideways carefully from under the cowling close to the mounting plate but not so close that you hit the face,
Be careful to line up where the bolt is in the housing, there should be a thick part at the bottom of the powerhead to line up with.
You will see the colour change and the drill slow as you cut through the bolt.
Use $10 high temp epoxy to fix the drilled hole on reassembly, if drilled carefully its only a cosmetic issue.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Also those back studs can get seized in too and may need drilling around underneath them and a bit of gentle rocking of the powerhead. You can take off the exhaust cover and access them from there too

aviator79

Seaman Apprentice

Not trying to sound like a smart a** but it ain't never gonna happen if you keep soaking the bolts with muriatic acid. Where on earth didja ya learn that! Ever hear of penetrating oil? Aka 'liquid wrench', PB Blaster, etc? Mebbe add a lil heat?

Respectfully.

I have tried liquid wrench and heat over and over with no luck. What gave me the idea to use muratic acid is I could see the white corrosion between the bolt and the Exhaust ADAPTER housing:
Wet storage stain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And I knew that acid would eat thru this and it does. I put some in with a small syringe and it smokes and bubbles and after removing the stuff has gotten soft and can be removed, but I have 3" of it to deal with so I have been adding more and cleaning and repeating and it is making progress but now the rear two studs clearly are also stuck.

Let your lift go slack and then drill in upwards sideways carefully from under the cowling close to the mounting plate but not so close that you hit the face,
Be careful to line up where the bolt is in the housing, there should be a thick part at the bottom of the powerhead to line up with.
Use $10 high temp epoxy to fix the drilled hole on reassembly, if drilled carefully its only a cosmetic issue.

Not sure what you mean here. Have to go home and look at it and read again. I have drilled the one stuck bolt out over an inch but still have 3" of it left. The midsection makes it impossible to drill strait.

Also those back studs can get seized in too and may need drilling around underneath them and a bit of gentle rocking of the powerhead. You can take off the exhaust cover and access them from there too

This is clearly the problem now as the studs will not budge. This is why the whole back of the powerhead will not come up off the exhaust housing like the front does. If it had only been due to the one snapped bolt on the port side then the starboard side of the powerhead should have been able to lift ever so slightly... I can cut the tips off but the adapter is under then so I cannot drill from under them, but I did get these grinder bits like these that will chew thru them but make a mess:
http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forum...1357228398-grinding-welds-header-alp77600.jpg

But still will only be able to go thru less then an inch due to the angle.

Thinking a bigger hammer and hammering from up top down to the rear motor mounts that are attatched to the Exhaust ADAPTER housing, but If I hit them any harder I bet they will just snap. Used a 2-3lb hammer with a 6" x 5/8 SS rod I had but did not help.

aviator79

Seaman Apprentice

I get what you're saying now, drove through the side of the houseing to cut bolt.
Well first have to deal with those 2 rear studs. My pronlem is I cannot get the exhaust cover off due to not being able to remove the two front bolts that go down into it from right above upper rubber mount. Power head must be off to remove them. I can see them nut cannot get a wrench on them.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Yep thats it , drill through from the side. I do it in an upwards diagonal direction.
Which two bolts cant you remove to get rear cover off?
Can you post a photo?

aviator79

Seaman Apprentice

I have not figured out the new PB but here is link:
http://s135.photobucket.com/user/abentley79/library/boat engine
1:Engine on lift
2-5 are the front bolts I cannot remove to get exhaust housing off.
6,7,9,10 the two stuck rear studs soaking in PB blaster. As you can see the adapter plate surrounds them so really having trouble figuring out how to loosen them.
8: long bolt that head snapped off
11-13 bad pics but I drilled bolt about an inch just past ex housing right about where adapter starts.

Forgot to get a pic of where I would have to drill to split bolt but it is not ideal...

rothfm

Ensign

I had a tuff one also..couple broke bolts etc...after locating a good housing "adapter" plate (unit directly below powerhead), I used a cuttoff wheel and cut just below the PH/adapter plate seam on the adapter portion, deep enough to cut through any stuck bolts.

PH then popped off and was in fine shape, able to then remove any stuck shafts more easily. I got the adapter for $75.00...Sure was way quicker than my original attempts at hammering, swearing and other tricks.

FYI

aviator79

Seaman Apprentice

Yep thats it , drill through from the side. I do it in an upwards diagonal direction.
Which two bolts cant you remove to get rear cover off?
Can you post a photo?

Ive got the rear two studs loose so all that is still holding it is the sheared bolt. Doesnt seam like it is going to budge but cannot remove lower engine cover so having a hard time seeing how to drill it out.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I'm missing something here?? You said in your first post " But I hooked as hose to the water pipe and it is leaking inside the midsection." The mid section is normally filled with water and usually leaks - no problem. Can you post some pictures?