1994 Johnson Tilt/Trim oil leak and pin of hell

JWater

Recruit
Hi All,
I have a little boat with a 1994 Johnson. Previous owner was careless, so I have been rebuilding everything little by little. Most of the trim assembly is submerged in salt water the whole year. Last Sat started leaking oil behind the valve body assembly. I have the boat out of the water and I was able to remove all pins and clips and rods, except the lower one. Someone called it before ,the pin of hell. I can see why. Hammering and PB blaster have not help so far. I am trying to remove it to gain access to the rear of the valve body.

image_12.jpgimage_10.jpg

Idea note_20130618_000545_01.jpg

I can see in the Johnson Parts page that there is a screw hole, bleeder or something right in that spot, but it does not specify anything. Does anyone knows what is that, and how to repair it?

Update: This is a Fastrak tilt/trim.

JWater

Recruit
Re: 1994 Johnson Tilt/Trim oil leak and pin of hell

Further updates and homework, I hope it helps someone with the same problem.

I just found on ebay a Fastrak unit for sale. Tilt and Trim Johnson 60-70 HP....they have the unit on a metallic color and excellent shape, so it there is a little hexagonal head screw in the rear ( transom) side of the relief valve. This is where my unit is leaking. It is visible in the following picture on the lower right. Extrangely enough, this is not reflected a a part on the Evinrude/Johnson parts catalog or in the Clymer shop manual ( I own it).

2013-06-19 15_21_35-Tilt and Trim Johnson Evinrude 60-70 hp '91-'01 90-115 hp 60 degree '95-'06 .jpg

I was told by a friend that the easiest way to remove the unit is by suspending the engine and just disconnect one of the engine mounts to the transom, previous disassembly of the steering. ...Not looking forward to this, but apparently no choice...I will keep the thread in case it helps anybody.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Try some heat on it. As you can see where I'm from that is mostly what we use down here.

JWater

Recruit

Hi Boobie, thank you for the reply. I have been out of tow for some days. I tried a turbo torch with mapp gas that I use sometimes for welding big copper pipes to no avail. I think I will try again later on today. Thank you for replying!