Problems with 1979 15 hp johnson

Zaagman

Cadet
Hello all I'm lookin for some advice here, I recently refurbished an old 16ft Jon boat with a 15hp Johnson, replaced lower unit oil and ran in the driveway with the muffs, runs perfect in the driveway, took it out for the firs time today and as I was going up river it had a mild to hard thump every few seconds , the wife compared it to hiccuping, we stopped to fish for a bit and on our way back it slowly lost power and bogged out on me, I restarted it a few time and as soon as you put it in gear and give it gas it dies every time. Any suggestions from anyone?

Xcusme

Commander
Re: Problems with 1979 15 hp johnson

Welcome to iboats !!!

From what you describe....the dog gear sounds as if it is slipping. Does to do this when your in Neutral ?

likitvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does your propeller spin freely in neutral?

Zaagman

Cadet

No it does not have this issue in neutral

Zaagman

Cadet

No it does not have this issue in neutral

So I bought a fuel pump rebuild tonight and got it all put in and now when I squeeze the primer gas sprays out the bottom of te pump, what did I do wrong?

AlTn

Commander

try googling leeroysramblings.com for info on the 9.9/15 hp. series as well as a diagram and pics of that fuel pump assembly

Zaagman

Cadet

I put it all back together and now it won't even attempt to fire up, I also changed the spark plugs

eseibel67

Cadet

try googling leeroysramblings.com for info on the 9.9/15 hp. series as well as a diagram and pics of that fuel pump assembly

Holy crap! That leeroy's site is amazing!

AlTn

Commander

welp..it's back to A.compression B. Spark C. Fuel...right amounts at the right time..A. bare minimum of 60 psi on the hand start engines B. on the CDI ignition ,which yours has, the spark should jump a 7/16" dry gap C.right amount of fuel has to reach the cylinders..it's that simple..if you'll post your compression no.'s that's the real beginning of addressing the problem with the failure to run