Carb issue?. 2004 90hp Johnson runs rough on throttle up when cold (water in carbs?)

Westmeadowbob

Recruit
My 2004 90hp Johnson is out of winter storage. I replaced the plugs, thermostats, gear case oil and water pump. So i am afraid I foolishly launched it with a half tank of gas that sat over the winter (and I don't have a water separator). On throttle up it ran really rough and bucked a bit (at full it would run up then lose power then lunge up again etc) but when I choke it, it goes great then comes back (all fuel lines and connections are tight and ball gets hard - so no air leaks in fuel system). So i fear i may have gotten water in the carbs. I immediately replaced the gas with fresh gas (drained all old gas). launched again and same issue but over time, once it was warmed up I went from 3/4 to full a bunch of times in an effort to blow out whatever was in there. Ran ok/fine for the rest of the day . A little rough at spots but ok. Next day, had the same issue all over again. Do we think I got water into the carbs and once I get going enough its diluted but then when the engine is off for a spell of time the water settles back down into the "bowl"(?). I am pretty good on general repairs so question is (1) any ideas and am I on right track ???....(does it sound like water) ...???and (2) how do I get it out.???.....any other thoughts on the issue are much appreciated. Thanks guys. Bob