1992 Johnson Looper impossible to start when cold (Except using a shot of ether)

techone67

Recruit
Hello and thanks in advance for reading my story. I have a 1992 120 that when it finally starts will run 110%. When it is cold or has not been run for a couple of hours is impossible to start unless ether is used.

This is what I have done. This problem has been with me for 2 years. I have changed the power pack, spark plugs, spark plug wires, coils, and cleaned all carbs and checked for any fuel leaks with fuel pressure applied. I have checked for a blown fuel pump diaphram to eliminate that as a source. I have set all linkage and timing adjustments by the book. I have good fire at the plugs. I have good compression and say again the motor runs perfect when started finally. My fuel is fresh and clean with no blockages.

I have also checked for output, shorts, and grounds in my stator and sensors by the book. All good.

The motor turns at a nice rapid speed when cranking.

All I can say is that when it does not start right away. Good luck getting it started.

Has anyone ran across this before? This motor will strand you in a heart beat.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1992 Johnson Looper impossible to start when cold (Except using a shot of ether)

Describe your starting procedure.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: 1992 Johnson Looper impossible to start when cold (Except using a shot of ether)

You didn't mention if you have visually verified that the choke is working. I'm not familiar with your model, it could have a primer solenoid rather than choke plates. I had a similar problem and I almost hated to shut the motor off because it was so difficult to get it started again. As you know all she needs is fire, fuel and air to go bang. If you have to shoot the motor with ether to get her to pop off and run then I would guess it's a fuel problem or even a combination of fuel and timing not being advanced. My problem was almost the same but she would finally kick off and run after making me embarrassed or angry. I also paid the price by ruining one starter so I decided to rebuild the carbs and replace every last one of the fuel lines and fuel pump. I had no more cold start problems after that and I also followed this thread...

http://forums.iboats.com/engine-fre...on-evinrude-cold-start-procedures-225510.html

techone67

Recruit

Describe your starting procedure.
Thanks for replying. I first try cranking it normally
without priming. Then I eventually prime a little. When all else fails I found the fastest way to start is to shoot a little ether in the plug holes and say again a little ether. It starts right up. Normal smoke an all. You swear it never had a running problem.

techone67

Recruit

You didn't mention if you have visually verified that the choke is working. I'm not familiar with your model, it could have a primer solenoid rather than choke plates. I had a similar problem and I almost hated to shut the motor off because it was so difficult to get it started again. As you know all she needs is fire, fuel and air to go bang. If you have to shoot the motor with ether to get her to pop off and run then I would guess it's a fuel problem or even a combination of fuel and timing not being advanced. My problem was almost the same but she would finally kick off and run after making me embarrassed or angry. I also paid the price by ruining one starter so I decided to rebuild the carbs and replace every last one of the fuel lines and fuel pump. I had no more cold start problems after that and I also followed this thread...

http://forums.iboats.com/engine-fre...on-evinrude-cold-start-procedures-225510.html
Thanks for responding. It has the electric primer. When the the primer button is pressed you can hear the fuel spray into the intake as it is supposed to and eventually {after cranking a long time} you will smell gas when it does not start.

I did on this last linkage sync advanced the idle time a little. Maybe this will help. I have not been out since the tune up but I am WORRIED until it runs right.

Thanks for your advice.

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

Doing an ohms check is does not fully test the stator. You need to do the cranking test with a DVA or peak reading voltmeter. Also, when you say you have good spark will it actually jump a 7/16" gap? You said the compression was good. What were the numbers? Weak spark and/or low compression will cause the exact symptoms you describe. The ether helps it get going, and once it warms up it will run like nothing is wrong.

techone67

Recruit

[

Thanks again for your help. The funny thing is that I fix cars all day long and drive them immediately to see my results. I respect anyone that works on boat motors for a living. You make an adjustment and have go on the water for results. Time consuming and a real patience builder when it does work as planned.

I forgot to tell you that I also did a peak voltage test and had 150 volts. The book said this was ok. I will also check the compression again to get the exact numbers for you. You my be on to something already because after I set the idle timing
the other day the idle sounded so much better. This could be the marginal fuel/compression problem you described. It might
be fixed already I just have not been back on the water yet to know. The spark jumps the gap you mentioned above. I do not think it is weak spark.

When I run it this time I will get back to you on the results. If you need help on a vehicle let me know because that is down
my ally. Maybe I will get better at boat motors.

Thanks Again!