25 Hp Evinrude yer info needed kicks out of gear in forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CritterBob

Cadet
Love this forum for its wealth of know how. Guys I have a 25 HP Evinrude Model # 25953R. It runs fairly well except that as I am opening the motor up it sometimes clunks and stops moving forward. I have been told its a clutch fork or dog that is likely the culprit. A mechanic friend of mine says its possible to turn this fork around as reverse isn't used as much and hopefully is not worn out.
The local evinrude dealer said he can get it in for a look in a few weeks.
I was hoping someone on here could help me find the seals I would need and parts so that I could try the repair myself. Also any advice on removing the lower unit. Lastly the year the motor was made. Hate to spend $400.00 bucks on a motor that old. Any info most appreciated. Thanks, Sea Nymph Bob

AlTn

Commander
Re: 25 Hp Evinrude yer info needed kicks out of gear in forward.

1979 model..you can find parts at marineengine.com,iboats,brp.com, and others...many posts on here as to removing and working on that lower unit...any of the info on the 18,20, 25 hp. with the split gearcase will work...try googleing leeroysramblings.com as I think he has some info on the 18's as well

B-Dozer

Seaman

I had 79 35hp johnson with the same exact problem I thought it was the clutch dawg so with very little knowledge I tore the lower unit apart. The one thing you will need is a very long pair of snap ring pliers but beyond that its pretty simple. But after replacing clutch dawg it wasnt the problem. my fwd gear was bad. Just keep that in mind. The clutch dawg was $80.00 and fwd gear was $90.00 runs perfect now

AlTn

Commander

the 25 and 35 have different gearcases..you won't need the long snap ring pliers, but a new fwd gear may be in order as B stated

squid1230

Cadet
Hello,
Since this thread is over two years old, I didn't think it too bad to hijack it with a question. I have the same problem with a '72 50 hp. tore the lower apart and very quickly realized that the dog and forward gears are severely worn on the mating surfaces. I bought new-old stock and am now stuck - How do i get the forward gear out of the lower unit with the driveshaft pinion gear hanging down in the way? I dropped the lower a few inches thinking the driveshaft would retreat into the housing and I'd be able to pull the forward gear out - alas! not so: the driveshaft remains in place. Any tips?

lindy46

Captain
You should start a new thread. But enlighten us. Are you trying to do the job without removing the lower unit from the motor? You really need to remove the lower unit to do the job properly.

squid1230

Cadet
I was trying to do that as I got just about everything out but the pinion gear and forward gear ( which is what I'm trying to replace) . I'm flying blind here as I have no manual

lindy46

Captain
Remove the lower unit. Remove the water pump housing. Then the driveshaft will pull right out of the lower unit. You don't really need to remove the driveshaft - it's just easier to work on when it's removed. Turn assembly upside down and remove the bolts holding the skeg to the lower unit. Remove the skeg. Now, the entire propshaft assembly will lift out so you can easily remove the forward gear. You'll have to pull up on the shift rod and move it slightly out of the way. The pinion will not interfere - it is beneath the propshaft assembly in the inverted position. Take pictures so you can get it back together properly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.