80s 15hp Evinrude - smoking pretty good in the 30 gallon test bucket..

roreri

Recruit
Hi all,

My sons have had the Evinrude 15hp out the end of last summer a couple of times but the water pump wasn't pumping as it should of been. The water just dribbled out of the pea hole. I'm just now finding this out.:grumpy:

I have installed a new water pump and now the water comes out as it should. But....
It smokes pretty good in the 30 gallon test bucket, and I'm wondering if there was some kind of damage they did with the water pump not pumping as it should?

I need to also say that it seems to run just fine, starts right up, after a couple of pulls or so on the rope. I should also say that I'm using the same gas that they used the end of last summer, no telling what the fuel to oil ratio would be.

Thanks!!!
RoReRi

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 80s 15hp Evinrude - smoking pretty good in the 30 gallon test bucket..

They all smoke heavily when run in a barrel... ditch the old fuel and mix some fresh 50:1

roreri

Recruit

They all smoke heavily when run in a barrel... ditch the old fuel and mix some fresh 50:1

Thanks, just got rid of the old gas...

Wonder if running the engine, read that putting around a cove, did any damage to anything? If it did or not, what should I look for if anything?
Hope I made sense here...

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You may try a compression test. It should smoke little to none at WOT. Take it for a spin on the water cruising or WOT and then check the plugs for color. Doesn't sound like major damage.

roreri

Recruit

You may try a compression test. It should smoke little to none at WOT. Take it for a spin on the water cruising or WOT and then check the plugs for color. Doesn't sound like major damage.

Thanks for the feed back !!! What should the compression be? I'm guessing it could be different for a cold engine vs a warm/hot engine. I wouldn't have the foggiest as to what would be good vs bad..

Thanks!
RoReRi

fireman57

Captain

Take it out yourself and run it for a good 15 minutes with fresh fuel at WFO and see how she does, as long as she is pumping water. The compression can be anywhere from 120- 80 or so but if it runs good then I wouldn't worry about it.

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The compression test varies from motor to motor and people will give you different figures. I would say the lowest to expect would be 70. If it is below 70 you may have a problem. Also important is that the numbers are within 10% of one another.