What steering cables work with 1977 Evinrude 85 hp?

black91sc

Recruit
Hey guys, first time posting here. I just acquired a an older tri hull with a 1977 85 hp Evinrude. The previous owner had a cmc electric tilt/trim mount and it has stretched the steering cable to the max and its very difficult to turn the wheel.

The cable looks pretty old and from what I have researched it could be an original, its a detmar 13 ft. My plan is to get a 14' cable and re route the cable by making another hole specific for it a little further back, and was wondering what cables will replace and fit right in to my helm and perhaps has a decent amount of flex so at certain angles it doesn't bind up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: What steering cables work with 1977 Evinrude 85 hp?

Detmar is out of business. You should be able to find a replacement Teleflex cable which will work. Agree, get one which is somewhat longer than your original 13 footer. You will have to consider purchase of a complete steering system, including a new helm gearbox, bezel and the new cable. Easy to locate them but you will have a decision to make. Steering systems come in a rack version or a rotary version. Clearance under the helm will be a big consideration between the two systems, regarding your purchase. Either should work on your 85 hp engine.