1983 90hps Evinrude outboard. Runs fine til engine heats ups

KDizzle

Cadet
Not sure what to do next! I changed fuel lines, power-packs, gas tank line, new battery. Fuel pump and filter seem fine. Starts no problem. idles fine. Runs great for about 10 mins. Then boggs down, loses power, roars back to life, dies. Hard to re-start, choke needed. Suspect coils but haven't check yet. Uses a lot of gas too. Not an expert by any means. Need help.

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1983 90hps Evinrude outboard. Runs fine til engine heats ups

KDizzle,
Have you cleaned/rebuilt the carbs on this outboard? If not I would do that next and see what happens. But before that I would check compression on this outboard and if that is good get you an in-line spark checker and see if your losing spark on one or more cylinders. My bet is the carbs are in need of a good cleaning or rebuilding. Let us know if you need anything else.

KDizzle

Cadet

I will give it a shot. Thanks for the quick response.

KDizzle

Cadet

Just an update. Having a mechanic come over to clean/rebuild the carbs with kits from manufacturer tomorrow or Wednesday. Checked the spark plugs with in line spark tester and it appears to have a consistent flash on all cylinders. Seems weak but probably should have done this closer to night time than the middle of the day. Will post my findings soon I hope. Thanks for everyones suggestions.

KDizzle

Cadet

Problem solved. Took apart the carbs and cleaned em up. Both of them had little pieces of rubber gas line under the float valve assembly. Replaced gaskets and boat ran better than ever.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

To complete the job did your guy be sure to replace all of the fuel lines as well so the problem doesn't come back?