1998 115 hp evinrude

tyerfish

Cadet
I'm trying to replace a set of thermostats in my engine. I got the thermostat assembly out okay but it took a while. Trouble is that my exhaust cover is the bubble type and I cannot get my the assembled thermostat unit back into the back of the engine because there is not enough room to work. I'm guessing that you have to remove the exhaust cover to have enough room. Is this correct. I have already tried to see if I can loosen the bottom bolts on the exhaust cover. One of them turns but the other two are frozen. What can I do to unfreeze the bolts.
Is there any other way to put the thermostat assembly back on that would be easier?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1998 115 hp evinrude

Get a bolt with same size that hold the hsg on but a little longer. Cut the head off of it and use it as a stud in the center hole. Assemble the hsg and slide it over the stud. Then while holding the hsg in place, start the other two bolts and tighten slightly. Remove the stud and install the last bolt. You can drill holes in the lower cowl hsg to access the bolts with some flex sockets and extensions. Then put rubber plugs in the holes.

tyerfish

Cadet

Get a bolt with same size that hold the hsg on but a little longer. Cut the head off of it and use it as a stud in the center hole. Assemble the hsg and slide it over the stud. Then while holding the hsg in place, start the other two bolts and tighten slightly. Remove the stud and install the last bolt. You can drill holes in the lower cowl hsg to access the bolts with some flex sockets and extensions. Then put rubber plugs in the holes.

I made a stud and screwed the stud on with a long nose locking wrench as far as it could. It sticks out a little over 1.5 inches which does not leave enough room to put get the whole assembly in. I can try to put it in by two sections, the valve body and then the thermostat cover.
I will try this tomorrow and let you know how it goes. What a pain in the you know what.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I think you need a longer stud so you can get the whole assy in at one time.

tyerfish

Cadet

That will not work because the back of the lower motor cover is too close to the stud to allow the whole assembly to be put on at one time. A longer stud would not even allow the assembly to be put on in two section.
Would this work better if you put a stud at each end and remove the stud in the middle? There just is no amount of free space directly under the exhaust bubble at the back of the motor.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Try some shorter studs on the sides as you said. If you can't get it, it's either pull the power head or the exhaust cover. If I remember correctly the manual says to pull the power head. **** poor design.