95 johnson 150 octane?

phoenixgold2100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just wondering what octane I should be using in a Johnson 150... I plan to use a bit of seafoam in the gas when I am not using the boat and I will not store the boat with 87 gas in it.

Should I use 87 89 or 91 octane?

87- 10% ethanol
89-5%
91-0%

I am using amsoil. 50:1

I have read that ethanol is a small engine killer but also that higher octane gas is for high compression engines.

Any advice would be great. I have read a lot of forums and one guy says to use 87 and one says to use 91 so a straight answer would help out.

What do you guys use? I am in Canada so I am not sure what the ethanol ratings are in the us.

Re: 95 johnson 150 octane?

87 Octane with 10% ethanol has been the norm for what, 30 years now? It's listed as an acceptable fuel in your engine's service manual so I wouldn't hesitate to use it, and see no reason to worry about storing the boat with it either. For peace of mind you can use a fuel treatment/stabilizer. And is that Amsoil TCW-3 rated? I'd be comfortable using any name brand outboard oil (which has the TCW-3 rating).

The ONLY problem I've ever heard of relating to ethanol has been with fuel lines which aren't meant to handle it. But again, any fuel lines manufactured in the last 30 or more years should be ok.

phoenixgold2100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

AHH finally an answer that makes sense! Yes the amsoil is tcw-3. I have only put about 40 litres of 91 octane in it and from now on I will use 87.

Should I run seafoam in every tank I put in? Or is stabil the same thing..

Again thanks for the answer. I don't like wasting money on fuel I don't need. I actually thought ethanol was something new...maybe the last 10 years or so but I had no idea.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

seafoam isn't needed in every tank, but stabilizer is good to use in each tank.... if it were me and I could get gas with no ethanol Id buy it EVERY time.....flock that ethanol......there is nothing good for your boat about ethanol.... I have heard it absorbs water.....so while it might be good to add to your gas if you think you have a little water, but long term it may be pulling water out of the air into your gas...that's the concept I have been told....so I would be one of those guys that says go with the gas that has NO ethanol...no matter what the octane rating...I think 91 octane I probably better anyway....seafoam added to the gas ever 4 tank fulls is a good idea....help prevent and remove carbon .....the red stabil isn't as good as the blue stabil...which counters the effects of the ethanol long term....red stabil jus keep the gas from going bad.. that's how I understand it.good luck

phoenixgold2100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In Ontario the only gas with zero ethanol that I know about is shell v power 91 octane. 89 octane has 5% ethanol.

Do you think running 89 with the blue stabil would be good enough?

I have read that to test gas for ethanol you pour in water and all the ethanol will collect into the water... So ya I am sure it does pick up moisture, probably why they say not to store boat with that crap in your tank.

But now I'm back to not knowing which octane to run... If the blue stabil removes ethanol It shouldn't matter ?

So it's really not a matter of the ethanol fuel being bad to burn it's more of letting it sit around with no additive...

Premium fuel breaks down after a month of sitting so if using 87-89 ethanol would it be better to add fresh fuel to it before use?

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

My boat mechanic doesn't recommend the use of high octane fuel. With 87 mine seemed a little sluggish at times, 89 and she runs just fine. I don't put anything in mine if I'm going to use it all in a day.

phoenixgold2100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's pretty much what I've been reading. Run no more than 10% ethanol and don't let it sit around in your tank without the right additive. I'm just gonna run 89 i'm pretty picky about carbs being clean so if I have to rip em apart and see how they look at the end of the season so be it.

I'm not wasting money on premium.