1983 johnson repair manual

Painterx

Cadet
Can someone tell me the best repair manual for a 1983 j150tlcte it runes great but need to replace some seals,carb lower unit and fuel

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1983 johnson repair manual

Agree + 1..............Stay away from Seloc or Clymer.

Hi Painterx and welcome to the forum.

I'm a retired Master Service Tech with 30+ years of shop experience, and I'm here to tell you that what the advice that JB and boobie gave you in right on the mark. The OEM manuals are the best, hands down. If the price seems a bit high consider this: how happy are you going to be when you have your engine torn half apart and the "CHEEP" manual leaves you hanging without the needed info to continue. So now you have to box everything up and bring it to a shop that will charge anywhere between $70 to $125 an hour, (depending where you live) to put the engine back together again. Can't tell you how many times every year I was brought a "can you put this back together for me" engine all thanks to poor repair manuals.

Papa :fish2:

Painterx

Cadet

Well cool did a lot of reading on the forum so far great info.i got a 1983 motor on a 1982 4 winns that been sitting for 15yrs. got it from the original owner.he bought it and used it for about 5 yrs and then got sick and put in a barn.his daughter went and started it up every 6 months like clock work and fogged it every winter.did a compression test and it came out with 80 on all holes with all plugs out.now I read that this is due to the low compression heads that year.if it was bad they all would not read the same correct?now the only problem I found was someone took out the thermostats.and someone stripped out the plug holes.someone put new hela coil in but there in crooked so i bought 2new head covers and all new thermostat and relief parts.so since I'm there going to rebuild the carbs,fuel pump,new water pump and lower unit seals(do to foam in lower unit oil)image.jpg I hope this motor is worth all this work. As it sits now with muffs hooked up it starts right up with one leak from #5 plug with crooked hela coil.now it's not seen water (just from muffs) now can I take this out on the water and run it without thermostats to see if its worth putting in the time and money

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Yes...........Just check your gear case oil first.