1971 60 HP Evinrude Type IV Carb -- Confused 1 1/2 turn or 5/8

IWishMyBoatRan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Type IV Carb.. Everyone says to adjust the low speed at 1 1/2 turns out, then adjust in... But the repair manual says 5/8 out, then adjust in...

I'm confused, can someone explain this to me?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1971 60 HP Evinrude Type IV Carb -- Confused 1 1/2 turn or 5/8

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

Note 1: As a final double check setting of the slow speed valve(s), if the engine has more than one carburetor, do not attempt to gradually adjust all of the valves/carburetors at the same time. Do one at a time until you hit the above response (die out or spit back), then go on to the next valve/carburetor. It may be necessary to back out "all" of the slow speed adjustable needle valves 1/8 turn before doing this final adjustment due to the fact that one of the valves might be initially set ever so slightly lean.

Note 2: If the engine should be a three (3) cylinder engine with three (3) carburetors, start the adjustment sequence with the center carburetor.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

IWishMyBoatRan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi Joe, your write up was what I used originally, but looking at the manual for the engine and carbs, it says 5/8 out after gently seated. I'm just curious as to why the book says one and this says another, which seems like a big difference in how much to turn out.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Forget the book. A lot of what "we" know from many years experience will not be found in there.