1984 20hp Johnson lower unit spit case to a through prop exhaust?

Eyeballsdeep

Seaman
Hey guys I have a 20 and a 25 hp both 1984 Johnson seahorse. My original intentions was that the 20 had a bad lower unit which is why I bought the 25hp one at a steal for 100.00. The guy said the power head was seized, and the bottom end was good. I spun the prop in neutral, put it in gear and tried spinning the prop again. It locked up and it didn't seem screwed. But when I took it home I removed the lower end from the newly purchased motor to find that the shaft would not move at all. I thought maybe some water got in there. So I tore into it. All the bearings on the pinion shaft were nonexistent and there was a tooth missing and mashed up the gears pretty good. Now I got a hold of a guy with a lower unit for 200.00 and this time I'll bring a screw driver to check the gear oil. Aside from all that how difficult would it be to use a through prop exhaust lower unit? The 25hp Johnson model # is j25rcrd and the serial # is c8180964. If this is posible that would be great since I got so many replies with people having the through prop and not the split case. Cause having 2 running Johnson's is always better than having 1. Thanks guys.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1984 20hp Johnson lower unit spit case to a through prop exhaust?

You would have to swap powerheads around as the lower units and exhaust housings themselves are not compatible, .ie you can't put the split case unit on the thru hub exhaust housing...