1977 Johnson 115 hp electric choke issue

stlled

Recruit
I have a 77 champion with a 77 johnson 115hp, the boat has the push in choke on the ignition key. When I push to choke it blows the main engine fuse. The choke solenoid activates as it should for a second till the fuse blows, I replaced the solenoid with a new old stock one. same result, the ignition switch has been replaced with a new johnson/evenrude part. I pulled the purple/ white wires off the junction block put a volt meter on the harness side and it draws 6.5 volts dc then blows the fuse, I traced all wires back to the controls all are hooked up as they were to the original ignition switch. I dont see anything grounding out . I am lost I would like to keep the boat original but I considered running a external momentary switch . any advise on this ? any one had this issue ?:mad-new:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1977 Johnson 115 hp electric choke issue

I've had a bad wire in a 15' control box harness before. Wound up running a new wire from the engine to the control box. That solved the problem. Your solution would work too.

stlled

Recruit

I've had a bad wire in a 15' control box harness before. Wound up running a new wire from the engine to the control box. That solved the problem. Your solution would work too.

ok, got the choke issues fixed, someone pinched the choke wore in the controls.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Simply disconnect the wire from the choke solenoid, then engage the choke switch. If the fuse does not blow with that wire disconnected, you may considered the solenoid shorted, in which case replace it.