1976 2-stroke 55 HP Johnson Seahorse Wide Open Throttle Help

Ok this is a 1976 2-stroke 55 HP Johnson Seahorse on a boat that would plane out in under 7 seconds and run 30-35mph with my fat *** in it. I was fishing one night and the motor started to bog down while i was trying to achieve plane. It sputtered a little bit then went on plane. I got to my destination did my thing then went back out. This time at WOT the motor would bog and never achieve plane. Putting along at 5-7 mph just barely faster than my trolling motor. I knew it needed work at this point. So here is the list and order I went through to try to fix my hopes and dreams. I have used this boat about 10 hours run time a week and would never sit more than 4 days without being back out on the water. So it has operated without flaw for quite some time.

I can achieve full throttle on muffs but will not achieve the necessary RPMs underload on the water...

1. Spark plugs(both)
On the Water TEST Afterwards

2. New Ignition Coils (Both but 1 had a mild crack through the seal)
3. Setting Carbs with previous owner (very knowledgeable)

4. Disassembled the actual Carburetors and cleaned thoroughly
5. Replace fluid strainer and Ran Seafoam through Gas Tank to hopefully get rid of any chance of water. Also checked screen the on fuel pump and replaced fuel filter before the bulb
6. Checked compression top cylinder 135# bottom cylinder 140#
7. New Spark Plugs again

8. Noticed a bend on the throttle cables pressure plate where the sheath is held in place and straightened out the pressure plate

9. Started taking Anti-Depressants

Granite The prop is a little banged up cause we have a few rough spots on our river and my skeg is bent a little bit. This never had an caused an issue before...I can follow up in a couple days with a link of what the motor doing if it's any help...

Please if you have any input I would greatly appreciate it and so would my 4 year old daughter because this is our primary bonding device. I live in Ocala, Florida and the Fishing is awesome here...

Last edited:

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Please help I feel like I nearly tried everything I could try

It may be running on 1 cylinder. Try pulling the plug wires off one at a time and see if the rpms drop.

I actually tried that on muffs but not on the water...

Re: 1976 2-stroke 55 HP Johnson Seahorse Wide Open Throttle Help

Oh btw it is only under any type of load like out on the water that the motor wants to bog down.... I guess I should of said that in the original post

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You did a lot of stuff to remedy the problem. I'm not sure about "Filters". There is only one filter and it is in the fuel pump. If you haven't lost a cylinder with ignition, and it Revs good on muffs, I would focus on fuel delivery. Sounds like it may be draining the bowl.

Look Im going to replace the fuel pump now... But i hope this does it... cause i notice i always lose pressure in the bulb...

Anybody else have any suggestions? Fuel pump will be here Tuesday supposedly...

nwcove

Admiral

Look Im going to replace the fuel pump now... But i hope this does it... cause i notice i always lose pressure in the bulb...

loosing pressure in the primer bulb is normal, if it collapses tho , its a sure sign of an issue with the tank vent.

No sir, I can't say i have ever seen it collapse down on itself before... but that is good future reference info... This is my first boat and first time really actually working on a motor other than the 5 starters i have put on this thing.... :) still waiting on that delivery.... Pump is off and ready to put new one on and test....