Evinrude outboard control box

wesandlana

Cadet
I am having problems starting my 1975 Evinrude outboard (85 hp). I had to pull the control box apart to check wiring to the ignition.

When I got the control box apart, a tiny steel ball fell out. I do not know where it came from, so I don't know where to put it now that I'm ready to put the box back together. :embarassed: It is a little smaller than a marble....looks like a ball for ball bearings? I don't know, but I'm betting someone here does! :happy:

Thanks!

Wes

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Evinrude outboard control box

Try to find a pocket with a spring inside, usually used for a position to rest the shift lever in, like neutral

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Go to shop.evinrude.com and look up your control. The ball fits in a pocket and the spring puts pressure on it. After you install it install the cap that holds it in. The throttle arm has to be in position to do this. It acts as a neutral detent for the throttle arm.

phillnjack2

Ensign

Boobie you forgot to tell him its a real pig of a job to get back in as well.
i done a friends box a little while back, and boy is that little spring a strong one or what.

phill

wesandlana

Cadet

Just figured out where it goes. It will be a pig of a job.

eavega

Lieutenant

Easy job (least it was on my 1976 70 HP. Should be the same control) If I remember correctly, the cover to the spring/detente ball will pivot on its screw. Install the plate, but don't tighten it down so it will pivot. Install the ball so that it sits inside the indentation in the control lever. Put the spring in against the ball, use a flat screwdriver to push the spring in against the flat side of the space. With the screwdriver holding everything down, pivot the cover over the spring and ball, and secure the screw.

I would always grease the detente ball so that it would shift a little easier.

good luck