15 hp Johnson Ignition

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can someone explain how the ignition works or direct me to a diagram of it.

doghunter9

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 15 hp Johnson Ignition

try leeroysramblings.com
very detailed site on the 9.9/15 omc's

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info. I'll look there.

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK I looked at leeroys site and did not find exactly what I was looking for. Does anyone have a schematic?

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What year of motor?

There is the early series from 1956 to 1973 & then a intermediate series from 1974 to 1992 then a late from 1993 to 2005. They used magneto ignition up thru 1976, then Capacitor Discharge ignition after that.

It would be helpful if we knew if you had any knowledge of how outboard electronics work (magneto or CDI) or simply needed just a schematic to trace out wiring.

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is a 1985 with the cdi ignition. I do have a working knowledge of electronics. I am looking for a schematic of the circuitry inside of the power pack. I am thinking of duplicating it because they are expensive and components are cheap.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have never seen anything for this. A tad bit beyond the average mechanic

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can find generic schematics for automobile CDI but of course they are powered by the battery so its a little different. I'll keep looking. Has anyone ever tore one apart. Is it potted so you can not them what they are?

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does anyone know if both plugs fire at the same time with one being wasted? There are two mags in the flywheel, one charge coil and one trigger. I don't see how it could work any other way. Can anyone verify this?

AlTn

Commander

the original OMC workshop manual has a schematic and detailed explanation of how it works. I know zilch about electronics, but with a 2 cycle port inducted engine firing each stroke I don't see how a lost spark ignition could keep from igniting the intake charge while it's still partially in the crankcase.

WernerF

Petty Officer 1st Class

There are many overpriced parts in outboards but the power pack is not too bad. Note the temperature range & water resistance, the special pulse-current-proof capacitor etc.

I managed to free up a VRO alarm circuit but I failed completely scratching off the potting compound of a CD3 power pack. This stuff is simply too tough.

The 15hp CD2 has only a single trigger coil for both cylinders. Like AlTn said, a two-stroke cannot fire both cylinders at the same time (what is commonly done in two-cylinder four-strokes, the additional spark comes at the end of the exhaust stroke and is of no consequence). Charge coil and trigger coil are located on the same mounting plate and share the same flywheel magnets. So the only solution is that the trigger coil's positive pulse triggers one ignition coil and the negative one does the other. The charge coil charges the capacitor directly, probably via a bridge recitfier. Unlike in battery based CDIs a switched power supply is not needed to charge up the capacitor.
The ignition coils are ground referenced, so when using a single capacitor the SCRs can't be too. So the CD2 circuit will look similar to this:

View attachment CD2.pdf

There will be some additional filtering to the trigger pulses which is left out in my schematic.

If you get more information about the CD2/CD3 inside, please let me know.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Does anyone know if both plugs fire at the same time with one being wasted? There are two mags in the flywheel, one charge coil and one trigger. I don't see how it could work any other way. Can anyone verify this?

There are two SCR's in the power pack. Voltage from the sensor trigger is applied to both SCR's, but a positive voltage fires one of them and a negative voltage fires the other one. Trigger voltage is determined by whether the north or south poles of the magnet is passing by the trigger. One SCR discharges the capacitor through #1 coil, the other SCR discharges the capacitor through #2 coil.

Any I've tried to open were potted and couldn't be accessed without destruction. I tried.

I suppose it would be a worthy project to build one, but hardly worth it if you value your time at more than 10 cents per hour.

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don, F-R, and WernerF

Thanks alot for the replies. I hadn't thought of the fields being reversed. It all makes sense now.

Thanks again
Paul