Help please with starting 55HP Evinrude Triumph

Brock.Ward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so I already got screwed on an old west bend engine that I put $600 into now I went and bought this engine, an old 55hp Triumph. Looks very clean, guy said it runs well but has been sitting for 5 years. It came with all wiring and cable for throttle but no controls. My question is that is there a way to start it without that, before i put anymore money into it I want to make sure the thing runs. I tried hooking up the starter directly to battery, the starter engages but doesnt turn the fly wheel, its like its in gear, I can get the flywheel to turn by hand either. I highly doubt its blown or seized, the guy seemed ok and i dont think he ripped me off but ya never know. If its in gear its probably VERY hard to turn an engine this size thats been sitting this long. Any recommendations?
OH also, it seems like there are only two little nubbs that hold these engines on the boat?!?! Is that true or am I missing some sort of bracket, theres no clamps on these?!? Any help would be great, trying to get on the water this year but seems like everyone just keeps selling me junk.CAM00242 (3).jpgCAM00243 (3).jpgCAM00244 (3).jpgCAM00245 (3).jpgCAM00246 (3).jpg

Brock.Ward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Help please with starting 55HP Evinrude Triumph

Also the model or serial is 55873r

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Step #1 => 1968 Evinrude Outboard Service Manual Triumph 55 HP Models Johnson OMC | eBay

I had the Johnson equivalent of that motor for 30+ years.
When they run, they are excellent performers, but they are fussy....especially the ignition and electrics. That one looks to have had a lot of rewiring.
You will need the OEM manual to have any hope with this, IMO.

The lower units are electric shift....operated by solenoids. Sounds like there maty be issues there.....parts are very scarce and priced accordingly.

The controls were a push-button shift, and different from the johnson version. I don't know whether they are interchangeable or not. You may have some luck n eBay, or one of the salvage yards listed in the "Top-secret" files.

As far as attachment to the boat, the motor slides into a track on the two mounting brackets which are bolted to the transom. Two bolts (one on each side at top) lock it in place.

Brock.Ward

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A guy down the road his marine shop has the controls, i just hate spending the money to see if the thing is junk. So is there anyway to start it or get it to crank without the controls. This guy told me they just had a ton of work done on it and it ran like new 5 years ago when they did the work but then the father passed away and it was his...Any other help would be appreciated.

Brock.Ward

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BTW here is pics of the mounting part, I cannot seem to see what you are referring to, i hope i am not missing this part too! AHHH

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

BTW here is pics of the mounting part, I cannot seem to see what you are referring to, i hope i am not missing this part too! AHHH

The brackets are NOT there.
At this point, the motor is not attached....it is just "sitting".
You'll need the brackets, but there should be lots of them available....they are not really a wearing part so every time one of these motors gets scrapped, there is a pair available.

The obvious question is what happened to the brackets? Is that your boat? Did the PO have it on a boat or just in the basement?

You can jump the solenoid to engage the starter, but don't even think of that until you get the flywheel turning freely.

Brock.Ward

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yea thats my boat, just picked up this engine for it, where can i get the brackets? Also i tried to jump start straight to start from battery to get it to spin, its not hooked up to gas but i guess there is a locking deal without the controls, so i have no idea how to unlock that without the controls.

Brock.Ward

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Last question, do you know what kind of shifter mine takes for sure? Is it a powershift or a selectric

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

yea thats my boat, just picked up this engine for it, where can i get the brackets?
You may have some luck on eBay, or one of the salvage yards listed in the "Top-secret" files.
~or~ ask the previous owner what he did with them... he may still have the boat and not bothered taking them off yet.. They are no use to him without the motor. Offer him @20- for the pair.
They are still available new, but no need to go that route.
Also i tried to jump start straight to start from battery to get it to spin, its not hooked up to gas but i guess there is a locking deal without the controls, so i have no idea how to unlock that without the controls.
You can jump the solenoid to engage the starter, but don't even think of doing that until you get the flywheel turning freely.
Can't be any plainer than that. Forcing an engine to turn over when it doesn't want to, will only cost you more $$$ than if you sorted out the problem first.
With the plugs out, that motor should turn easily by hand....but I think they default to "in-gear". The prop will probably turn as well.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Last question, do you know what kind of shifter mine takes for sure? Is it a powershift or a selectric

No I don't.
It was different from the Johnson I had. E/rude 55 had push button shifting.

Brock.Ward

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it feels like the motor is locked and i have read that without the controls it stays locked...you said you owned one of these so are you certain that without controls it technically should still spin freely unless its locked up? Thanks again for your help and quick responses. I'll pull the plugs and see if it turns at all...maybe its just stuck from sitting so long...old owner didnt have boat or anything, it was his dads when he passed away, so i'll have to find some used ones and the controls somewhere i guess, wish I could rig em up to my chrysler controls...any ideas?

Brock.Ward

Petty Officer 2nd Class

got it turning, iwas just so stuck from 5 years, now it turns, now i just need to find controls or throw a little cas in it to make sure it turns over

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Start a new thread.------You will need to shop for a control box.----Johnson single lever. --Or Evinrude push button.-----Your location ?

Mico792

Recruit
Start a new thread.------You will need to shop for a control box.----Johnson single lever. --Or Evinrude push button.-----Your location ?
Columbus Ohio. Trying to decide if I should get it running or strip/sell it for parts.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Model # is ?-----Nobody can help you decide on what to do with it.------Any pictures ?

Mico792

Recruit
Model is 55873R. Wiring is a mess! Does not have controls.

Attachments

• 3F2C52CC-F6B0-4FBC-AE4F-A66621A0F915.jpeg
    3F2C52CC-F6B0-4FBC-AE4F-A66621A0F915.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 4445E5AA-B177-4ED3-83B1-5D80A7E31885.jpeg
    4445E5AA-B177-4ED3-83B1-5D80A7E31885.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Parts motor.------Also proof that wiring and 12 volts is not well understood.