1973 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5, catch in the pull start/ flywheel

Jweston21

Recruit
Hey Guys,

First timer but love the forum.

I am having an issue with my 73 E Sportwin 9.5.

When I go to pull start it, it feels stuck or locked. When I do get it to turn it feels slow and full of friction. I made sure to have it in neutral and turn throttle to starting position. I have done some research and learned it could be the gear safety switch. From when I gather it is a device that won't let the engine start in reverse and sometimes these can get stuck in the lock position.

Other then that I'm lost. A week before it started perfectly and I have had no other issues with it. All of the sudden, pull chord feels stuck and when I pull I feel like I might torque the engine off.

Any help or ideas?

Thanks,

Trout slayer

nwcove

Admiral
Re: 1973 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5, catch in the pull start/ flywheel

ok, id pull the spark plugs out, and try rotating the flywheel slowly by hand to feel for tightness.

Deepsees

Recruit

I know this is years out of time... My 1964 9.5 had both coil mounting screws vibrate out and one of them broke and stuck to the magnet of the fly wheel. The one that broke had the lower threaded section vibrate out too. No other damage... thankfully. I cleaned out the holes, purchased 10-24 x 1.5 stainless screws with lock tight to help keep this from happening again. It goes without saying... you have to pop off the fly wheel to gain access.

Deepsees

ok, id pull the spark plugs out, and try rotating the flywheel slowly by hand to feel for tightness.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

There is no " gear safety switch " on those.--As stated remove sparkplugs and check.--Remove lower unit and check for binding there---Could be internal rust too.----New to you motor ?--- Any history on this motor ?-- Any recent work done on the motor?