1987 Johnson 88 SPL air silencer cover and gasket question...

tj06civiclx

Cadet
1987 Johnson 88 SPL. Noticed that there was oil / gas leaking from the air silencer cover. Would this be an easy gasket replacement? I also noticed that the air cover was cracked at one of the bolt holes.

Top left corner is cracked.

20130606_162024_zps54155749.jpg

You can see the greenish bluish tint here. Looked like it was leaking from the gasket

20130606_162028_zpse87634c6.jpg

Phishnvdub

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1987 Johnson 88 SPL air silencer cover and gasket question...

I have almost the same set up on my motor. It's an easy replacement. Just take the screws out on the front of the cover. If its like mine the one in the middle is a little longer, just take note of it. Also on mine, for the bottom screws it helped using a knuckle for the socket.

tj06civiclx

Cadet

I have almost the same set up on my motor. It's an easy replacement. Just take the screws out on the front of the cover. If its like mine the one in the middle is a little longer, just take note of it. Also on mine, for the bottom screws it helped using a knuckle for the socket.

Thanks for the reply!

Just wondering if the crack in the cover would be a problem? The sites I've looked at that sell parts do not carry this anymore :doh:

Phishnvdub

Seaman Apprentice

I am checking out the pics on my phone, is the crack to the left of the top screw? If so I would think it is ok as long as the screw still puts enough pressure on the cover to seal it. The gasket has holes where the screws go through so it seals around them. As far as a replacement, EBay would probably be a good place to try and find one.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Also, check the airbox drain hose. It scavenges any excess oil/fuel and recirculates it back into the engine. If the hose is disconnected, any excess oil/fuel from the carbs will just drain into the lower cowling.

tj06civiclx

Cadet

I am checking out the pics on my phone, is the crack to the left of the top screw? If so I would think it is ok as long as the screw still puts enough pressure on the cover to seal it. The gasket has holes where the screws go through so it seals around them. As far as a replacement, EBay would probably be a good place to try and find one.

Yah the crack is at one of the screw holes. Previous owner must have over tightened at one point.

Also, check the airbox drain hose. It scavenges any excess oil/fuel and recirculates it back into the engine. If the hose is disconnected, any excess oil/fuel from the carbs will just drain into the lower cowling.

Will do! Thanks!

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

Man you guys up North are lucky. That motor is clean for a 25 year old motor. Down here in Florida you just don't see that.

tj06civiclx

Cadet

I think it was mostly a lake boat motor... She's getting some salt in her now though!