Can anyone tell me the year of my 40hp evinrude?

thormx11

Petty Officer 1st Class
I knew at one time, but have since forgotten. There was a sticker on the side of the engine with the model number, but it peeled off and i cannot find it. Is there a stamp somewhere else to look for? The previous owner painted the engine white so you cant see much on the outside.

Its a '87-89 i believe, i cannot remember exactly. It has the vro2 system.

I believe it needs the carbs rebuilt, we had it out yesterday for the first time this year and it was a little tough to start, but once it started it seemed to run fine, we drove it a couple miles down the lake and back and it ran great, until we came back to the boat ramp and at idle it seemed like it just slowly flooded out and died, and wouldnt restart. When running at full speed it ran fine.

Looking for a carb rebuild kit for both the carbs, gotta find out the year first though!

scottmm73

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Can anyone tell me the year of my 40hp evinrude?

There should be a metal disc on the engine block about the size of a quarter that has the model number.

Once found...omc 1979-2006 models

thormx11

Petty Officer 1st Class

The only metal disc i found was on the top of the engine, and it had G2234606 stamped on it.

scottmm73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can you post pictures of your motor? That's definitely not the model number. It should at least have an E in it.

Mine is a 66 but, I'm hoping there is not much difference.

9010747856_d436c4e95f_b.jpg

thormx11

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can you post pictures of your motor? That's definitely not the model number. It should at least have an E in it.

Mine is a 66 but, I'm hoping there is not much difference.

9010747856_d436c4e95f_b.jpg

The only stamp I can find is the one I stated on the top of the engine, I looked in the location of the pic you posted, but I have a large plastic cover/box on the right side of the engine and cannot see anything. I will see if I can pop it off and see whats behind it.

thormx11

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pics don't show. Upload pictures to flickr.com or photobucket and copy and paste picture link here.

That's odd, I can click the two links and the pics pop up. Any chance I could shoot you an email? Id be able to send the rest of the pics I have of the engine as well, I have 8 total pictures.

Ive never used the flickr.com or photobucket

scottmm73

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's odd, I can click the two links and the pics pop up. Any chance I could shoot you an email? Id be able to send the rest of the pics I have of the engine as well, I have 8 total pictures.

Ive never used the flickr.com or photobucket

If you use yahoo, you flickr. I click the link and it give me an "Invalid attachment specified" error.

thormx11

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok trying to upload them now to flickr.com

scottmm73

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can't find that number anywhere. Is there a number on the transom mount?

thormx11

Petty Officer 1st Class

There was originally a sticker on the left side of the transom mount with the model number, but the last owner painted over it, it was about to fall off as well, so I peeled it off and brought it inside, you could still read it if you held it up to the light, but I have since lost it :(

scottmm73

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess the only thing you could do is email or call Evinrude.