2002 Johnson 150hp flooding help!!

wilson750

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2002 johnson 150 hp,2 stroke
Yesterday on my trip out I was on plane and the whole boat stalled out and never started back up. The engine was flooded with gas/the spark plugs were soaked. I took the plugs out 4 times and dryed them off and put them back in and would kick over and start for a second then die each time. Every time I would pull the plugs and they would be soaked!! I am guessing in have a stuck float or the needle isnt closeing all the way because something got stuck? My question is how can I find the problem carb without taking off each carb.

also when I did a search I saw some replys on a little red handle that needs to be down? The motor has been running great all year till yesterday, so i guess the red handle/switch does not have to be touched!!Also what does this red handle/switch do?

If anyone can help out or think it's another problem please leave a reply.
:rolleyes:
Thanks

azhunter

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2002 Johnson 150hp flooding help!!

Were all of the plugs wet? I'm not sure but i think each carb services designated cylinders so if one of the floats got stuck, only those plugs would be wet. If all plugs are wet, I would look into the solenoid. I'm no expert but I hope this helps.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Have you checked the spark on it ?? It should jump a 7/16" open air gap on a spark tester.

wilson750

Petty Officer 1st Class

Were all of the plugs wet? I'm not sure but i think each carb services designated cylinders so if one of the floats got stuck, only those plugs would be wet. If all plugs are wet, I would look into the solenoid. I'm no expert but I hope this helps.

It seems like the bottom plugs are more wet then the others!! What solenoid are you talking about that would let all that fuel in?

bakerjw

Petty Officer 1st Class

The fuel solenoid acts like a choke. When you push the key in on my 1989 150, the solenoid actuates and allows extra fuel to flow through some small hoses that go to the tops of the carburetors. I would assume that OMC used the same method on many engines.

With the red lever pointed down (normal position), turn on the boat key but don't start it. Pull the tube off of the top carburetor because it is easy to get to and point it into a cup. Pump the bulb and see if fuel comes out. None should come out. With pressure in the bulb, have someone push the key in. You should then see a stream of fuel.

Move the solenoid lever up (on all the time) and pump the bulb again. You should see a stream of fuel without having to push in the key.

If the solenoid is stuck and allowing fuel in all the time, then it might be the cause of your flooding issue.

FWIW Someone had rebuilt the solenoid on my outboard and put in too many gaskets so it didn't work at all. It's a simple mechanism so straightening it out was no big problem. Once it was reassembled properly, it worked like a champ.

wilson750

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you checked the spark on it ?? It should jump a 7/16" open air gap on a spark tester.

Yes it has great spark. It will fire up and run for a couple seconds then get flooded out with the plugs soaked!!

wilson750

Petty Officer 1st Class

The fuel solenoid acts like a choke. When you push the key in on my 1989 150, the solenoid actuates and allows extra fuel to flow through some small hoses that go to the tops of the carburetors. I would assume that OMC used the same method on many engines.

With the red lever pointed down (normal position), turn on the boat key but don't start it. Pull the tube off of the top carburetor because it is easy to get to and point it into a cup. Pump the bulb and see if fuel comes out. None should come out. With pressure in the bulb, have someone push the key in. You should then see a stream of fuel.

Move the solenoid lever up (on all the time) and pump the bulb again. You should see a stream of fuel without having to push in the key.

If the solenoid is stuck and allowing fuel in all the time, then it might be the cause of your flooding issue.

FWIW Someone had rebuilt the solenoid on my outboard and put in too many gaskets so it didn't work at all. It's a simple mechanism so straightening it out was no big problem. Once it was reassembled properly, it worked like a champ.

Thanks baker, I will try this Wed morning when I go down to the slip.

wilson750

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am thinking its the spark now.It seems very weak to me. I even held it and touched ground and it doesnt zap you much. You can feel it. But you would think a spark would either hurt or throw your hand back.thinking its either teh power pack or stator?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Go to cdielectronis.com. They have good trouble shooting procedures for ignition.