Impeller / water pump replacement Evinrude 150 Ocean Pro

BrokeLoser

Seaman
I've never done this before so I'm looking for quality advice....1997 Evinrude 150 OceanPro
I found this tutorial on youtube and it seems pretty straight forward.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDPAT4FMXiU
My questions:
Is their anything that is not well covered in the video?
Any "tricks" or precautions that would make things a little easier and less troublesome?

Also, the install instructions I got with my impeller kit recommend using "triple guard grease", "Adhesive 847" and a "gasket sealing compound".
Is it crucial that I use these specifically named products or can I use:
Lucas marine grease
Permatex Silicone Adhesive Sealant
Permatex Form A Gasket Sealant
I'm not trying to be a tight-***, I just happen to have all these products in my garage right now and I'd like to do the job ASAP.

Thanks!

8b62c460-53c1-4937-a68c-bd66771ce995_300.jpg
7160109_ptx_80050_pri_larg.jpg
7349145_ptx_80016_pri_larg.jpg

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Impeller / water pump replacement Evinrude 150 Ocean Pro

It's a pretty good video. I wouldn't use a torque wrench for undoing bolts, but that's me. And he races past the process of lowering the LU which can be a beotch. Have someone give you a hand. It's heavy and you have to "walk" it down carefully. I find it is a good time to replace the seal under the waterpump, but again that's just me.

As far as the grease etc goes the grease you have is fine but not the light duty RTV, nor the form a gasket. I use "ultra gray" sealant and adhesive 847 because I haven't found anything that works as well. I used to use nothing but ultra gray but it doesn't hold up as well as 847 in that spot. OK in a pinch. Permatex #3 is used by some.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I used Permatex Aviation gasket for gluing the gaskets to the waterpump. I used silicone to install the Orings. Grease for everything else. You might get a service manual. It will tell you which impeller key to use and how to install it. It needs to jam the impeller onto the driveshaft. You do know how to release the shift linkage on that motor? Different years have different ways.

BrokeLoser

Seaman

It's a pretty good video. I wouldn't use a torque wrench for undoing bolts, but that's me. And he races past the process of lowering the LU which can be a beotch. Have someone give you a hand. It's heavy and you have to "walk" it down carefully. I find it is a good time to replace the seal under the waterpump, but again that's just me.

As far as the grease etc goes the grease you have is fine but not the light duty RTV, nor the form a gasket. I use "ultra gray" sealant and adhesive 847 because I haven't found anything that works as well. I used to use nothing but ultra gray but it doesn't hold up as well as 847 in that spot. OK in a pinch. Permatex #3 is used by some.

Thanks for the advice.
"I find it is a good time to replace the seal under the waterpump"
What seal is that?
Doesn't that seal come in the impeller replacement kit?

BrokeLoser

Seaman

I used Permatex Aviation gasket for gluing the gaskets to the waterpump. I used silicone to install the Orings. Grease for everything else. You might get a service manual. It will tell you which impeller key to use and how to install it. It needs to jam the impeller onto the driveshaft. You do know how to release the shift linkage on that motor? Different years have different ways.

I have a service manual but don't you just use the existing key? My impeller kit didn't come with a new one.
"You do know how to release the shift linkage on that motor?"
I was told it releases the same way as depicted in the youtube video posted in the post above.....no?

Neither the youtube video nor my service manual detail some important steps which is why I am asking for more detail here. To be specific I guess my questions that aren't answered in the youtube video would be as follows:
The key, it's direction, locking it into place...etc
The actual impeller; which is top, which is bottom, is it directional, blade direction, how to seat it......etc
In the video the guy doesn't seem to use any sealant or adhesives...only grease...was that simply edited out?
Did he not use it as it may shift and possibly cause blockages?

I'm probably over-thinking this...haha

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

An OEM Service manual will have all the info you need. If that motor is like my '98 Johnny 150HPV6, you need to pull the clevis pin under the carb, and slide the linkage to the left, to release the shift rod. The impeller turns CW to release it from the key. The key must be installed correctly and the driveshaft turned CW, while holding the impeller to lock it back in.

If your service manual doesn't have this info, you should consider an OEM one.

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class

Once you get the LU off you will see a block with 4 bolts that houses a seal. I replace that seal (and the block gasket) on any engine I get that is more than 10 years old or has high hours.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The seal TN is referring to is under the waterpump base. Not sure you need to mess with it, unless you see water in the gear oil.

BrokeLoser

Seaman

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class

I cannot make out any detail in that image and the other link doesn't work. Do you have a model number off the engine? I have pulled up a '98 from marineengine.com and it is item #7, drive shaft seal. It looks like you have to buy the whole housing, which is listed as item #6. iboats might stock that item? Be sure to order the o-ring as well: Item #29

As Chris has said, you may not have to change that seal. It's just something I do when I am not sure if it has ever been changed and as a guard against the motor being returned with a fault after I have worked on it. You may be feeling lucky, or plan to change the impeller regularly which gives you the ability to check it each time. At the very least you should change the gear-oil yearly and watch for water incursion should you decide to leave it for now.

Last edited:

BrokeLoser

Seaman

I cannot make out any detail in that image and the other link doesn't work. Do you have a model number off the engine? I have pulled up a '98 from marineengine.com and it is item #7, drive shaft seal. It looks like you have to buy the whole housing, which is listed as item #6. iboats might stock that item? Be sure to order the o-ring as well: Item #29

As Chris has said, you may not have to change that seal. It's just something I do when I am not sure if it has ever been changed and as a guard against the motor being returned with a fault after I have worked on it. You may be feeling lucky, or plan to change the impeller regularly which gives you the ability to check it each time. At the very least you should change the gear-oil yearly and watch for water incursion should you decide to leave it for now.

I sent you a PM with the link...
The model# on the motor is: E150EXEUC it's a 1997 with 25" shaft

I'd like to change it like you've suggested as I just bought the boat...I doubt the previous owner ever changed it.

BrokeLoser

Seaman

I guess even the PM feature blocks the url.....if you type boats dot net where the asterisk's are that will complete the link.

Thanks for the help!

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got it. It's pretty much the same diagram. Item #6 for the bearing housing and seal, or item #7 for just the seal. If you have not worked with seals much I would recommend buying the housing with the seal already installed. Also order the o-ring; item # 29, unless it is included. Take care not to damage the LU when prying up the bearing housing. It can be tight but just take your time. PB Blaster and tapping with a soft face hammer often helps if it is corroded. Make sure everything is spotless for assembly, treat the waterpump bolts with OMC thread sealant or some kind of anti-corrosive agent and torque to specs.

BrokeLoser

Seaman

Got it. It's pretty much the same diagram. Item #6 for the bearing housing and seal, or item #7 for just the seal. If you have not worked with seals much I would recommend buying the housing with the seal already installed. Also order the o-ring; item # 29, unless it is included. Take care not to damage the LU when prying up the bearing housing. It can be tight but just take your time. PB Blaster and tapping with a soft face hammer often helps if it is corroded. Make sure everything is spotless for assembly, treat the waterpump bolts with OMC thread sealant or some kind of anti-corrosive agent and torque to specs.

Okay, I'm back in town and ready to tackle this job....I think....haha
While I'm in there should I also replace part numbers 33 (thrust Bearing), 34 (thrust washer) and 43 (shims)?
If so, I suppose I'd need bearing pullers and specialty tools?

Thanks again for all the help!

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class

You should not need any of those parts. Unless it was run with extremely old or no oil they should be fine. Don't forget to remove any rust/scaling on the shaft and clean the whole area before removing the water pump etc.