2004 BRP Evinrude no oil light on and SLOW activated.

tdavid

Recruit
!st time out this season. Last season no problems. Ran motor in yard for a while, no problem. Got about 1/2 mile from ramp running slow 1500 to 2000 rpm and horn and lite came on. Couple of pumps of oil primer bulb got light off once but came back on and continued back to dock in SLOW mode. Will check fuse for oil enjection system and flow by disconnecting oil line as per evinrude ops manual but if no luck any suggestions. Oil filter never changed. 184 hrs on motor.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2004 BRP Evinrude no oil light on and SLOW activated.

Got a model # ??

tdavid

Recruit

E200FPX SRB. Since last post, I disconnected oil return line at Tank and purged system with bulb and then ran engine at about 3200 rpm pumping bypass oil into a gallon jug. after about 3 min and 50 seconds and 3/4 gallons of oil in jug, low oil light came on with about 2 inches of oil left in tank and about 5 seconds later NO oil light came on and engine went to SLOW. Refilled tank, restarted engine, and after about 4 seconds, No Oil light came on. Shut down, go inside and have a glass of wine. NOTE Engine data sticker has 07/2003 after CE. Is this a 2003 or a 2004 . Serial No. is 05039038. Selling Dealer told me it was 2004.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The letters SR in the model number show that it is a 2004 engine.

The NO OIL light can mean a number of things such as low pressure, no oil, no oil injector operation, etc. A tech with a laptop has to determine which error code is stored in memory to be able to troubleshoot the system and find out which problem the motor has.

tdavid

Recruit

Thanks Seahorse5,
That's what both my independent former Evinrude tech and the local service center down the road told me with one exception. They both told me that diagnostics will really only tell us what the light and horn are already telling us. "NO OIL".. As you said there could be any of several reasons except that there is oil in the tank and the oil lift pump is flowing it (about 3/4 of a gallon in 3 1/2 minute) before the low oil light with about 2 inches of oil left in the tank followed about 5 seconds later by the NO OIL light horn and SLOW mode activation. I specifically asked both of the above if the computer will tell them exactly what is causing the problem and they both indicated no. Worst part is that neither can even look at the engine til mid JULY after my summer company leaves and some of the fishing does too. Why can't the damn thing break when it's sitting in the driveway during the winter when the service guys aren't so busy. Next year, I'm taking the boat out around Cristmas just for a test hop. I can usually find a warmish day to do that here. Just the task of re-winterizing. Thanks again. Dave

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral

NO OIL + BUZZER ( code 38) as on my 75hp 2005 ETEC means no oil pulses detected and the EMM goes to SAFE mode (not slow mode). known issue on earlier models ...like ours :-( if you search the web.

It happens for me on cool mornings... I let it warm up 10-15 min , do a winterize or two floor it to 5000 rpm and the issue goes away the rest of the day. ... My ETEC log shows these codes #38 since new at hour 03 in service !!

LOW oil....means the tank is runnning low. I think the permanent fix is a new oil pump :-(