Check Engine 2000 50 HP Johnson

thejohnson

Cadet
I have a constant beep and check engine light that happens at any rpm...happens a handful of times on a boat ride. I have one of those status gauges that has 1) no oil 2) temp 3) check engine 4) low oil. It can happen a few times within 5 minutes or can not happen for an hour...very sporadic and doesn't seem to do anything to the boat as the boat runs great all of the time. Any ideas on what it is trying to tell me?
Thanks!!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Check Engine 2000 50 HP Johnson

You just may have a bad gauge. Do you know any techs that keep one in their tool box for testing purposes ?? You could try that first. I still have one in my tool box and it comes in handy.

thejohnson

Cadet

Anyone know what the alarm means? And how to test for that problem?

daselbee

Commander

Anyone know what the alarm means? And how to test for that problem?
Yes, it means you have a fuel restriction. Now, that said, only certain engines, usually the big V6's, had the sensor on the incoming fuel line to detect "Check Engine" fuel restrictions. Yours does not have the sensor. Therefore, Boobie's response...bad gauge. The "Check Engine" alarm is triggered by the tan/orange wire in the harness that plugs into the Systems Check tach. When that line goes to ground, the check engine alarm sounds. There is a very slight possibility that the tan/orange wire is intermittently shorting to ground, but it is slight. I am +1 for Boobie's diagnosis of a bad gauge.