1989 Johnson 110hp stalling when in gear

Botown

Recruit
I have a 1989 Johnson 110hp w/ VRO. I have dumped way too much money into this already so I am hoping for a cheaper fix(highly unlikely I know). When I got the boat the motor wasn't running. Since then I have replaced the fuel lines, oil lines, fuel pickup, fuel filter, oil tank, plugs, wires, power pack, rebuilt carbs, checked compression, checked vro pump, new prop, new battery, new water pump, new controls and lines. After the last repair it was running great out of water on muffs. Last week I put it in the water for the first time this year. Started up fine and ran great. After two or three laps around the lake at WOT I felt it starting to lose power. I put it in nuetral and it stayed running like normal. Throttled up in nuetral and it was fine. The issue came as soon as I shifted in either forward or reverse it died. I tried to shift at a slightly higher rpm to make sure there was not an adjustment error when I installed new controls and cables but still nothing. I am trying to get my hands on a timing light and a peak voltage meter just to eliminate some obvious answers. The previous owner did a number on this motor and obviously didn't have a clue(or a manual). I am not an outboard mechanic so I am trying to avoid making the same mistake he did. This is my last attempt to get this motor running right before it has a for sale sign or ends up at the bottom. Any suggestions would help.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 Johnson 110hp stalling when in gear

Sounds like you are thinking in the right direction. Possible the engine is not running on all 4 cyls. Weak ignition components tend to fail once the engine comes up to normal operating temps. Take a timing light out with you next time you go boating. When the slowdown occurs again, pull the cowling off and check each plugwire to see if you have spark. That engine will seem to run just fine on 2 or 3 cyls in neutral or on the trailer. You need all 4 cyls firing when you want to power it up in the water.

Botown

Recruit

Thanks for responding...the issue now is I cant put the boat back in the water with this still going on... After taking it out when this happened I tried letting it cool down for an hour or so but then ran into the same issue so I pulled the boat out of the water. I am going to run it out muffs today to see if it dies when put in gear out of water. If it does do you think it is a lower end issue? Living about 30 mins from the closest boat ramp makes testing anything in the water tricky. Thanks again

Starcrafter87

Recruit

Did you ever find out what the problem is ?
I'm having the same issues with my evinrude 60 hp tracker

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you may think the lower unit is locked up. That certainly would stop the engine suddenly when shifted into gear. You could pull the lower unit off. Turn the drive shaft by hand and then shift it into gear, both forward and reverse. (move the shift rod up and down). Neutral is in the middle position. If it goes into gear normally and the propshaft turns, the lower unit is probably ok.

Starcrafter87

Recruit

Sounds like you may think the lower unit is locked up. That certainly would stop the engine suddenly when shifted into gear. You could pull the lower unit off. Turn the drive shaft by hand and then shift it into gear, both forward and reverse. (move the shift rod up and down). Neutral is in the middle position. If it goes into gear normally and the propshaft turns, the lower unit is probably ok.

Yes. I'm going to try that. I'm also doing carb rebuild new plugs. Gear oil change. The norms. Hoping for good results.

WA-Newb

Petty Officer 1st Class

From what I was told by the previous owner the motor I recently got did indeed end up with the for sale sign after much work trying to diagnose the same problem as yours and now I am trying to troubleshoot it...it is a 1987 Johnson 120 but I can't even get it to run enough to fail if that makes sense...lol

Trying my hardest to figure it out and have a number of possibilities so far..first thing to check would be ignition components heating up and then failing as already mentioned here. I just bought my DVA and borrowed a timing light but can't get it to idle right so have to address that first (might be related but doubt I can get that lucky...lol).

Good luck though and if you don't mind please follow up here with what you figure out (if anything) that helps many people in the future..I have read many related posts that just "dead end" with no finale...and I feel ripped off...there's got to be a finale even if it's how you threw it over board during a fit of rage...lol

Starcrafter87

Recruit

Absolutely will keep everyone posted as to what my findings are. But I also have a merc 650 to pop on if all else fails. So I don't know how much time or money I'm going to invest into the evinrude.

denebach

Cadet

If it shifts gears on a water hose and doesn't stall then you have an ignition problem. Stator, power pack and coils must all be checked.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

This thread is way over 90 days old. Read the rules at the top of the forum !!