1960 40hp johnson motor ignition

steurerl

Cadet
I have a 1960 40HP johnson motor that im about to put on my boat and need to do the ignition. Do i need to get a push to choke ignition or a regular one and the choke automatically goes when you try to start it? It has an auto, on and off for choke on the motor. Thanks.

S_Laker

Cadet
Re: 1960 40hp johnson motor ignition

I had the same motor, like a fool I sold it to "upgrade". On mine, the auto setting worked great. None of the electric chokes operate when turning the key, newer stuff {than mine} have the choke button on the key switch, push in to choke, but most have a separate button. Get a good quality marine grade push button if you need one. My old motor didn't even have an electric choke solenoid on the carb.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Does that motor even have an electric choke? A lot of them had automatic chokes, which didn't work well. I would set the choke on when cold starting and after warm up, turn it off manually. The motor would start w/o choking the rest of the day.

steurerl

Cadet

It doesnt have electric choke. It just says on,off and automatic so im guessing that just means it will automaticall choke when it needs it. This is my first boat and motor so im new to this stuff. I also need to figure out the steering cable and how to assemble it. I have a teleflex cable going to the motor but i dont know what adapter or other parts i need for it to hook it up. Any help would be great.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

A lot of those automatic chokes just rusted solid. Make sure your is working properly (Choke is controled by hot water or hot air), or simply use manual choke on to start and off after warmup.