1992 Johnson 120 V4 VRO intermittetant shifting problems

brownning375

Recruit
I have a 1992 Johnson 120 that sometimes does not want to go in gear, if you move the prop a little it slides right in. We unhooked the cables to make sure that was not the problem, but we were not that luck. It seems it is lockling up on the motor side. When it locks up we cannot shift it by hand, but the strange thing is if you leave it and try it again it will go into gear.

I am wondering if it is a shift linkage issue, or is it a more serious lower end problem? It will work fine shifting back and forth several times, than all of a sudden it does not want to shift. I am at my wits end with this motor.

Thanks.

Rob.

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1992 Johnson 120 V4 VRO intermittetant shifting problems

Does it shift consistently in the water, with the engine running? If so, it is the clutch dog you are encountering a problem with. It will not shift if the clutch dogs are not aligned with the appropriate open spot in either gear. You say you turn the prop a little and it goes into gear. Well you just lined up the spots. If you are trying to shift it with it just sitting there, you will have these kinds of problems. Perhaps I am wrong. Looking forward to hearing more.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

What happens if you have it in the water and try to shift it by hand back on the mtr when it's running ?? This puts a load on the prop.

brownning375

Recruit

Does it shift consistently in the water, with the engine running? If so, it is the clutch dog you are encountering a problem with. It will not shift if the clutch dogs are not aligned with the appropriate open spot in either gear. You say you turn the prop a little and it goes into gear. Well you just lined up the spots. If you are trying to shift it with it just sitting there, you will have these kinds of problems. Perhaps I am wrong. Looking forward to hearing more.

yes it shifts good in the water, but once and a while it acts up and does not want to go in reverse but will go forward, or the opposite. Its weird it wont shift, you leave it for a second and it goes in no problem? I am pretty confused!