40hp evinrude full paint job

theblob

Banned
I want to paint whole motor.what all will i need like parts,gaskets,mounts? I want to take top off and paint but leave bottom all together.

theblob

Banned
Re: 40hp evinrude full paint job

Model is 40153b im going to paint lower too but leave bottom together

mauryc

Seaman Apprentice

I just painted my 97' Johnson 40. You don't need anything. Just paint with the cowl off and mask the block assembly really well. I mask off the rubber cowl seal - which takes some time - but provides an original look. I see where many shops who repaint their motors before selling just paint the seal. Over time, the paint will start peeling off the rubber.

Maury

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I have just finished doing that same thing with my '76 40 HP Johnson OB. I completely disassembled the entire OB and then sand blasted it to the metal. Then I bought and used Zinc Chromate primer followed with PPG K36 Prima high build sandable primer. Then I sanded down that primer coat with some 600 grit paper and shot some PPG Shop Line Acrylic Urethane base coat(s) followed with catalyst PPG clear coat(s). Then I wet sanded the clear with 2000 grit sandpaper and polished with 3M compounds. It looks amazing and is totally impervious to any fuels or oils now… You can see it all on my thread about a total rebuild of a 1976 Johnson 40 HP Outboard… Not sure how much effort you want to go into, but you can get very good results without all that effort as well. I just wanted this OB to look good and last for years and years…and I did change from the original color scheme to my own design. Here is a picture of the cowling...

Boat-102.jpg

Sureshot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have just finished doing that same thing with my '76 40 HP Johnson OB. I completely disassembled the entire OB and then sand blasted it to the metal. Then I bought and used Zinc Chromate primer followed with PPG K36 Prima high build sandable primer. Then I sanded down that primer coat with some 600 grit paper and shot some PPG Shop Line Acrylic Urethane base coat(s) followed with catalyst PPG clear coat(s). Then I wet sanded the clear with 2000 grit sandpaper and polished with 3M compounds. It looks amazing and is totally impervious to any fuels or oils now… You can see it all on my thread about a total rebuild of a 1976 Johnson 40 HP Outboard… Not sure how much effort you want to go into, but you can get very good results without all that effort as well. I just wanted this OB to look good and last for years and years…and I did change from the original color scheme to my own design. Here is a picture of the cowling...

View attachment 197815

GM280, that cowl paint job looks amazing.

jbjennings

Captain

That '76 cowl graphics design looks really nice! The only suggestion I have is to make sure the humidity is below or around 70%, the lower the better. Make sure you get all the oil and grease out of the pores of that aluminum if you sand it down to the bare metal. I personally don't like to get the old paint/primer off the aluminum if I can keep from it, because it's a lot easier to get paint to stick to than it is to aluminum. If you get it down to bare aluminum, you'd better do it right or your lower unit will peel.
JBJ

theblob

Banned

My cowl is a two piece,bottom aluminum top fiber,so that makes two seals i need.will enamel work,and last atleast 5 years?i wish i could find the original ski twinn stickers for mine.quess it will have to be hand painted.wheres good place to get some metal flake to mix in the enamel?

gm280

Supreme Mariner

My cowl is a two piece,bottom aluminum top fiber,so that makes two seals i need.will enamel work,and last atleast 5 years?i wish i could find the original ski twinn stickers for mine.quess it will have to be hand painted.wheres good place to get some metal flake to mix in the enamel?

You could get acrylic enamel for your OB at most any automotive paint store. They have every color under the sun and can even mix to anything you can bring in to have them match too. If you want your finish to last for a long time use a catalysis type hardener in your paint. It does make the difference. Also I didn’t use any decals or anything like that. The cowling I posted is all air brushed with 6 different colors. So I don’t have to worry about decals peeling off ever. If you want to match an old cowling design, you can have some vinyl decals made at lots of places and apply them after you finish painting your base color, it is that easy… Your limit is your imagination…

theblob

Banned

You could get acrylic enamel for your OB at most any automotive paint store. They have every color under the sun and can even mix to anything you can bring in to have them match too. If you want your finish to last for a long time use a catalysis type hardener in your paint. It does make the difference. Also I didn’t use any decals or anything like that. The cowling I posted is all air brushed with 6 different colors. So I don’t have to worry about decals peeling off ever. If you want to match an old cowling design, you can have some vinyl decals made at lots of places and apply them after you finish painting your base color, it is that easy… Your limit is your imagination…
really that airbrush guy must be good ill probly just order any evinrude set then just paint numbers on,but your right i could do flames on it if i want.i just didnt know what all i would need to take motor off and put back,because i dont want overspray on everything on brass parts of motor .i quess ill just start taking apart and take pictures as i go to know where to put stuff back.ill have to check on that hardener,i was thinking about adding flex agent to cowl paint,im just a begginer,but atleast it will look good at a distance.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

theblob, I used an engine hoist to remove my OB from the boat. You can rent one or make something that will hold the weight (about 135lbs). If you can get some help, it can be lifted off with a couple guys. Once you have the engine off, place it on an engine stand. I built an engine stand from some pieces of 2 x 4's and 2 x 6's and a piece of plywood and placed some castors on it so I can move it around. There are great plans on these forums on how to build such a stand. Then you can remove parts and clean the engine and paint as you like...

theblob

Banned

Ive been taking motor off myself ill probly make some kind of stand My windser chair didnt last long as a stand i really just need to know how to take engine apart from lower unit really.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I seriously think what you need is an original Evinrude, year, model, and HP specific shop manual for your OB. That manual will not only explain how to disassemble your engine, but explain how to test each section and reassemble it again. And it also covers everything including torque specifications, and the electrical schematic diagram(s) too. It would be a great investment in my opinion…

theblob

Banned

Well i found a book on ebay but havent bought yet.it says for a 71 ski twinn but ive heard to get the right kind of book.i dont want to have to buy two,but thanks i probly should that way i dont have to keep asking how to do everything.i usually over tighten stuff anyways.ive really only used torc specs on heads and intake .i know how stuff can loosen after breaking in.once i get book and paint ill upload pics,but im sure it wont look as good as yours,did u really paint it yourself,because thats nice.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Well i found a book on ebay but havent bought yet.it says for a 71 ski twinn but ive heard to get the right kind of book.i dont want to have to buy two,but thanks i probly should that way i dont have to keep asking how to do everything.i usually over tighten stuff anyways.ive really only used torc specs on heads and intake .i know how stuff can loosen after breaking in.once i get book and paint ill upload pics,but im sure it wont look as good as yours,did u really paint it yourself,because thats nice.

Yes sir, I really did the painting all myself. And I haven't been painting for very long either. About a year ago I refurbished an old Geo Metro little car that needed a ton of auto body work and repaint. I never did anything like that before but always wanted to learn how. So I read everything I could and started. To my amazement, and so many others, that car came out amazingly well. I did the entire work in a breeze-way (not a garage or body spray booth) and it looks total professional. So I decided that a boat/engine/trailer was my next project. You can see the cowling effort that I just finished. Takes lots of time, but let your imagination be your guide... And YES if I can do it, anybody can... Read, Read, and Read some more... Don't be afraid to make a mistake...we all do and you simply sand it down and do it again... Not the end of the world, but it is truly fun!