1980's 60hp johnson starter

Hooked the car battery straight to the starter and the bendix is slipping to make contact with the flywheel. The bendix gear is worn down to a 25 degree angle. When it does grab the flywheel the starter moves it for about one piston crank then sits on the next and only gives a little hum. When the starter is disconnected it makes a loud barking noise. Pistons have been lubed and I'm not sure how the compression should feel, but it definitely has plenty. I can pull it about two revolutions with a rope, but I have a herniated disc in my back and can't give it my all.

Re: 1980's 60hp johnson starter

Well it sounds like you don't know what the heck you are doing. You should try to post a thread on a forum where experienced boaters can help you.

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to the forum! Do you have an actual question? Regardless, I will go out on a limb and say it does sound like the starter is hooped.

No. not yet. I don't know what I am doing so maybe I'll try to wire the starter to usain bolt. He's probably got enough voltage to get it going.

Good idea. Let me know how that works for you. Also, maybe you could turn the bendix upside down and try to get it to grab the flywheel with the other side of it.

It worked. I took off the bendix, turned it upside down and buried it in the back yard. Starts up like a pro now. Thanks!

Good for you! enjoy fishing. I took the bendix off of my car when I had a flat tire and turned it upside down, then mailed it without reply post to The republic of congo. Taking the bendix off and turning it upside down always works.

Welcome to the forum! Do you have an actual question? Regardless, I will go out on a limb and say it does sound like the starter is hooped.

You are probably right. The starter is probably dying. The boat has been sitting for 7 years. Would you take it to an auto parts store and have them check it? If it is the starter will I be able to do a rebuild myself or should I take it somewhere and get a new one?

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd just go ahead and buy a new one. They are not terribly expensive. I am assuming of course that you have tested the battery and checked the wiring first... I'd start there and if it still won't crank then you likely have a bad starter. Can you pull it over at all by hand, or get someone to do it? I would confirm that it runs before spending much cash on it.

I put the rope on it and had a buddy pull it. He pulled it six times and everything sounds right, but the motor didn't turn over. Checked the plugs again and they are good. We were pulling it with the command center lever on 'start' and the switch is in the 'on' position. Let the old fuel out of the carb bulbs also and ran some seafoam through the carb and fuel lines. Then we put some sea foam in the cylinders and let them soak. the pistons are pushing spray out and feel more loose than before. My buddy really had to pull hard to get the flywheel to turn. He is 6'3' 210 (mostly muscle). Should the flywheel be so stiff? Any ideas?

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Try spraying those cylinders down with PB Blaster and let it soak overnight sounds like pistons are trying to seize on you. With the plugs out your buddy should be able to spin the **** out of it.

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class

Were the pistons seized to start with? If so I would definitely wait before buying anything else for the motor. You should do a compression test and if possible use a boroscope to view the cylinder walls for damage if it was even slightly seized.

cbar870

Cadet

The pistons wearn't siezed solid when I brought it home. I sprayed some seafoam in the sockets and that seemed to loosen them up a bit. Without the plugs I can pull it easy myself (without straining my back or even using it much). Think I'll try to loosen them up some more. Do I have to use pb blaster, will wd40 work?

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmmmm. Different name? If the cylinders are "wet" it will be hard if not impossible to pull over, so make sure to purge it before putting the plugs back in. If the rings are stuck due to corrosion then PB Blaster is your friend. But if it was seized due to a lean condition or severe over heating then the go juice will not help much. Remeber that a 60hp will take a fair bit of effort to start by hand, even when in top condition. If you need any other advice it will help if you post the model number.