66 6 HP evinrude Fisherman

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I had a question a few days back that was helped quite well, but now I'm back with another. When starting the motor up in a trash can (with water) it runs just fine. However, when you get it out on the water and put it in gear, it begins to struggle. While it doesn't die, the motor runs slow and at noticeably lower RPMs than when in neutral. I saw someone mention on another thread to try pulling the plugs one at a time. They suggested a potential electrical issue that was hidden when the engine wasn't under load. I started the engine with 1 plug disconnected each time. While it didn't run as well, it started right up and didn't struggle when missing either spark plug.

I also noticed that while out on the water, the line between the fuel pump and carburetor was leaking at the connection to the carburetor when you squeezed the fuel bulb on the line between the motor and the gas tank. I think I will replace these lines, but any additional help or ideas are appreciated.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 66 6 HP evinrude Fisherman

What exactly does the engine do? The terminology "struggle" just doesn't carry anything across to us.

You have it in the water, start it, seems to run okay in neutral.... Is this the case so far?

You put the engine in forward gear, then apply throttle.... what happens?

Rick.

Captain

Good advice above and yes replace or repair the lines to eliminate that as a possible problem. You may need to turn your slow speed needle out a wee bit more on the water as opposed to in a barrel (no load and less back pressure). Best of luck. Rick.

What exactly does the engine do? The terminology "struggle" just doesn't carry anything across to us.

You have it in the water, start it, seems to run okay in neutral.... Is this the case so far?

You put the engine in forward gear, then apply throttle.... what happens?

Struggle was a poor word. The engine runs fine in the water when not in gear across all throttle positions. However when I place the motor in gear, it runs and it does propel the boat forward, however it runs noticeably slower. The engine does not reach the same pitch as when in neutral. I wouldn't expect it to run as fast as when there is no load but it seems slow. The engine never dies, but the boat doesn't move fast at all. Maybe slightly faster than with an electric trolling motor running at wide open throttle (which I have used on this boat before). I ran it without the cover and while in gear you can see the slower spinning of the flywheel. If I have time I will try to get some videos tomorrow or in the next few days.

Evoil

Recruit
Hi! This is an old thread and all, idc. I registed just to reply. slab, to me that sounds like the rings are gone, unforntanly this means you'll have to overhaul the entire engine. I'd remove the exhaust over and inspect the cylinder walls for scaring. I'm afraid you're going to find quite alot. scaring on the piston skrit doesn't count tho.

Fun Times

Staff member
Hi! This is an old thread and all, idc. I registed just to reply. slab, to me that sounds like the rings are gone, unforntanly this means you'll have to overhaul the entire engine. I'd remove the exhaust over and inspect the cylinder walls for scaring. I'm afraid you're going to find quite alot. scaring on the piston skrit doesn't count tho.
Hi there Evoil, welcome to iboats!:)

Thanks for wanting to help out with this and any other topic you are able to contribute to here on iboats, it's truly appreciated.

One thing the hosts of iboats would prefer us to do is to please keep an eye on the dates of the topic. Any topic older than 90 days becomes known as an archive and it's preferred that the topic stays dormant unless the original poster brings the topic back up for an update.

Please see the "Help Tip" at the top of the forum page for additional information covering archived topics.

Thank you, iboats mod team.

Status
Not open for further replies.