1994 johnson 175 fast strike

takeemmac

Cadet
I recently purchased this motor and need a tach gauge.....the motor runs great no issues. I ordered a new tach and went to hook it up but cant find the wire to hook up to it. I have 3 wires that are black,gray,green I think these are trim wire gauge. I do not have any other loose wires to hook up?:facepalm: If i ran a new wire to the motor where dose it hook to?

Re: 1994 johnson 175 fast strike

You didn't say if you have a standard OMC control box. Assuming you do there'll be a 3 pin connector in that which has grey, purple, and black wires. The grey wire is the tach signal, purple is +12 V, and black is ground. Those are what's needed to make the tach work.

takeemmac

Cadet

thats a good question? I dont know.... there is only 2 wires comming out of the control box netural safty switch. i think I might know what my problem is Im getting my voltage for the gauge from my power block not those 3 wires. what do you think? I do have a 18ga wire that is purple comming out of the wiring harnes any ideas on what that goes too. I think it goes to voltage regulator..oh amp gauge?

Assuming your wiring hasn't been changed or messed up:

The purple wire SHOULD give you +12 volts when the key is on, that needs to go to the power terminal on the tach.
The black wire SHOULD be the ground, that needs to go to the ground terminal on the tach.
And the grey wire SHOULD originate at the engine's rectifier/regulator, that needs to go to the signal terminal on the tach.

takeemmac

Cadet

okay thank you I'm going to try that later on this morning. the other 18 gauge wire coming out of the wiring harness that I had mentioned. any thoughts on that. in answer to your question I do not believe the wiring harnesses been changed although it is not the original wiring harness that came with the motor. when I purchased the motor the wiring harness did not come with it and had to get a used one then make all my connections from there. it was not plug in play. the control box did not have a box around it it was just the metal guts. and it had two wires coming out of it which were for the neutral safety switch.

any thoughts on that....

Your best bet is just to trace it using a multimeter and see where it goes. And if you don't have one yet a factory service manual is worth it's weight in gold. Also, at the top of this forum there's a thread that's been 'stickied' called "top secret files". Look in there and you'll find a link to a site that has some wiring diagrams. While it might not have your exact engine you should be able to find one that's pretty close.

takeemmac

Cadet

I'm at my witts end already. I had to purchase a repair manual because no one sells the factory service manual for this motor....I have tried all three wires on my tach. I have the purple to pos. black to neg, gray wire to signal and the tach dial is set on 3 on the back and the dang thing still wont read.......could someone post a picture of where the tach wire is on the rectifer

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 94 175 Ocean Runner, if it's the same as your fast strike you will find that grey wire and purple wire right on top of the regulator. They are only about 2 inches long with bullet connectors on the end. The manual says to set the tach on 6.

takeemmac

Cadet

thank you so much. I did find a factory service manual on ebay it's on the way.

takeemmac

Cadet

I received my factory service guides....wow I found the vro pump was unplugged and needed to be re connected so now I have a tach.............now I have the oil alarm going off and it wont shut up......theirs no oil tank.. it has been removed and I premix. what can I do to fool the dang thing put a resistor across two wires or what?