evinrude powerhead replace?

gbsilvers

Cadet
Hello all first time on the site..... I have a 1983 Evinrude 50 ELBECT that got a hole in the block right by the bottom piston rod connector. The powerhead looked immaculate on the outside and ran great until this happened. I just need help determining what caused it and whats the cheapest course of action to get my boat back on the water. I have been searching for powerheads but I need to to make sure if what I buy is compatible. Im short on time, military and leaving for afghanistan soon and want to make it out again before i go. Thanks in advance

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: evinrude powerhead replace?

As for what happened, your description sounds like a bearing or rod failure. It may have just been worn out it may have been run without proper oil in the mix.

Anyway, sounds like you need used or rebuilt powerhead. It would help to know what area you are in as someone might be able to point you to someone locally.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I believe anything after 1976 wpuld be a start. At that time they changed the CID of the 2 cylinder engines. If there was also a change in driveshafts I'm not certain. The 44.9 CID should all use the same blocks.

gbsilvers

Cadet

I'm in Fort Knox, KY and always go to Rough River lake. Now if buy a used powerhead can I still use the parts off my current one or is there anything else I should replace such as flywheel etc...?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I think you should spend a little more time researching this. It may be far easier, faster and cheaper to just replace the whole engine than to find and replace just the powerhead.. Even if that would entail finding a used 50hp with a blown up lower unit that could be taken from the one you already have.

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm with Bonz on this. Cheaper and much, much easier to replace the whole motor with a quality used one. Not much sense doing a powerhead on such an old motor.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

!983 is not an old motor.I realize that some people think last years model is old but that is not the case with outboards,1943 might be getting on a bit but even that is not considered past it by some on here.By all means shop around on ebay and aomci to see if you can locate a powerhead,sometimes you can pick them up very reasonably and you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself,it's really not very difficult and there's tons of help here.

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class

BTW, whatever you decide to do, thanks for your service. Take care over there.

gbsilvers

Cadet

Im going to explore my options but thanks again to all who offered their advice. I got the boat from my dad after he put a lot of work into it, new wiring, trolling motor, carpet etc... The boat and motor are both an 83 and he bought it from an elderly man 5 years ago and only took it out once. He put a lot of work into it and ended up giving it to me. I am an avid fisherman and in the last 2 months I've had it on the lake any chance I get. I feel obligated to get it up and running again for his sake. I'm glad I found this site though, there is a ton of great info on here and good people to share their knowledge. It's just odd because the motor literally looked brand new and ran like a champ. I'll be sure to post my "fix" once I get it.

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hear ya. I have the motor my dad bought brand new in 1965 and have put a lot of parts and work into it, even though it is well past it's due date. So I will not fault your choice. Like buddy above says there are lots of folks here willing to walk you through the job.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Here in my area it is just easier and cheaper to replace the whole engine than just a powerhead. Your area it may be different. There are always engines here to be had with blown out lower units for next to nothing which makes the trick all about finding or having a good strong lower unit. A lower unit can be changed in under 1 hr.

Old age? I've got a very nice 1975 50hp Johnson in the garage and a very nice 1983 60hp Johnson running on my boat. Lack of maintenance is what makes an outboard old.