2001 115 Johnson Exhaust Gasket Replacement

scott45

Recruit
Hi all, I am new to the forum, but have been reading you all for months and have learned quite a lot. I am not very saavy regarding my outboard, but after reading several posts here I mustered enough courage to rebuild the carbs (and I think it went quite well).
New Issue: when finishing carb work and intial start up testing, with the lower covers off the engine, I notice water leaking from the exhaust gasket just under the power head (base gasket).
I have the OMC Service Manual and have read it quite a lot over the last few months.
1. Am I biting off more than I can chew with this gasket replacement, understanding I am somewhat novice to outboards but also somewhat handy? (have access to rent an engine lift, etc.)
2. When reading the manual on gasket installation it covers both the V4 and V6 models. I will follow the manual but , wondering why the instructions for the V6 say to use Permatex 2 sealant on the inner exhaust flange and coat both sides of gasket with OMC sealing compound, whereas the instructions for the V4 say to install the gasket dry, do not use either?
Adding Model #: J115PLSI

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2001 115 Johnson Exhaust Gasket Replacement

They use two different types of gasket material. Follow the manual.

scott45

Recruit

Thanks boobie!
Do you feel that I can handle this job or should I leave this one to the local dealer?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You've got the manual and if you have a hoist to lift the power head off of the exhaust hsg you should be able to do it.