Evinrude 7.5 Steering Handle - How to take it apart

Putzaroni1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,
I am currently working on a 7.5 Evinrude. It is running very well and usually starts on the first pull. Unfortunately the serial number and model plate has been removed and I can't figure out what year it is. I am pretty sure it's between a 1980 and 1984 but I would prefer to figure out the specific year before purchasing the service manual.

2 questions:

1) Can anyone tell me what year this is based on the pictures

7.5Evinrude-Pics 001.jpg7.5Evinrude-Pics 003.jpg

2) What is the 4th control on the far left ? Most have 3 controls on the front (choke, slow speed adjust and the pull cord)
3) The speed control is loose and the steering handle wiggles when I move it. I would like to fix both but can't figure out how to take the steering handle apart.

Any suggestions or answers to any of these would be appreciated.
Thanks......

Last edited:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evinrude 7.5 Steering Handle - How to take it apart

Model number should also be on a nickel-sized plug on the cylinder block. Otherwise appears to be about 1983 going by decals.

Button on far left appears to be a kill switch. Your motor should have originally had a button in the tip of the tiller handle. May have been disconnected in favor of a tethered kill switch, for which you are missing the tether. If you have no spark, that could be why.

Tiller grip comes apart by pressing the two tabs at the base of the grip inwards and then pulling the grip off. If your handle has an idle stop adjustment in the end, you'll have to thread that inwards as the handle comes off to allow the handle to come all the way off.