2003 Johnson 40hp 4stroke check engine light on

Rick Mike

Recruit
My 1st post, glad you folks are out here. Tried the shotgun approach, recently replaced spark plugs, all fuel lines, primer bulb, fuel filter, water separator filter. Intermittently I still have trouble getting the engine to start when hot. It always starts easily when cold. No smoke, runs perfectly. I'm on a small lake and cruise slowly a lot, 1500-2000 rpm. I shut off the engine to chat with friends for 15-30 minutes, then my boat won't start. The primer bulb is partially soft at this point. I pump it every time I start it, hot or cold. Sometimes it starts hot, but the audible warning sounds and the oil light is on. The warnings stop after about 15 seconds. The oil is always fine when I check it. Sometimes to motor starts hot with no warnings. Inconsistent and confusing...any advice will be appreciated.

New problem. Last gas I added I tried premium gas...93 octane I think. Starts fine cold or hot...problem solved right? Last cold start it started easily but the check engine light came on and the audible warning beeps with a regular on off pattern, not like the continuous beep I get when the oil light is on. Idles smooth, but runs rough when rpms got up to 3,000. I shut it down, waited 2 hours, same thing.

Thanx for any and all comments.

Rick Mike

Recruit
Re: 2003 Johnson 40hp 4stroke check engine light on

A little more detail...audible pattern with check engine light on is beep-beep-beep-------beep-------beep-beep-beep--etc.
This starts when I turn the key on, before I start the engine. Engines starts easily, light and beeps continue.