75HP Evinrude eTec with a busted cowling. Anyone have a fix or a used one...

Snowboater

Recruit
I wouldn't care but the cowling rattles when approaching WOT. Sounds like the engines tearing itself apart!!!

The three allen screws that attach the two halves of the lower cowling have cracked off their corresponding anchors. It may just be my bad luck, but this appears to be a somewhat **** poor design. Anyone else have/had this problem and fixed it? Or has anyone got a lower cowling for a 2004 75HP eTec?

My Best - Snowboater

2013_June2nd_2004eTecEvinrude_BrokenCowling_ 004.jpg

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 75HP Evinrude eTec with a busted cowling. Anyone have a fix or a used one...

Somewhere, I think probalby on the E-Tec owners message board, that someone said this material is basically the same as the new car plastic bumpers. You may try contacting a auto body repair & see if they can help.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 75HP Evinrude eTec with a busted cowling. Anyone have a fix or a used one...

You are right, a **** poor design. I've also heard other complaints of this. If I was you I'd call BRP Customer service at 1-262-884-5993 and ask them about it. Maybe even send them the pic. That really sucks for a mtr not that old.

Snowboater

Recruit

Thanx guys. Both are great ideas. I've got a buddy that makes some extra welding plastic. I'll show it to him (after I send the pix to BRP).

Tis the season - Good Boating, and Thanx again!!!

moconno

Recruit

I have a 2005 Blue 75 Etec with a disintregating lower cowlings. It is definitely a defective plastic issue. Maybe only the blue plastic is problem.* I bought the motor used with only 70 hours on it and it was almost always covered. I don't think it can be repaired as I have tried epoxy but it continues to disintegrate. Currently the lower cowlings are ductaped together to keep them from falling off. Evinrude denies the problem and the parts alone are over $1000. Other than that the Etec has performed well. If anyone has found a solution I would appreciate it. Thank you.

phillnjack2

Ensign

ok to repair that stuff is very easy.
just go to a plumbing shop and get the glue/cement for the grey plastic pipes, its a abns type glue that
bonds very very fast and will fix the crack no problem.

they are very very flimsy type plastic cowlings, and they should be very cheap as they are cheap to make, But like
anything else for an outboard they are very very expensive.

crazy idea to make cowling this weak on outboards with no prtection around them.
the very first time i picked up a hood for a mercury 150 optimax i got a real shock and nearly fell backwards expecting a heavy lid
the same happened with a 150 e-tec, so light and very very flimsey stuff.

i bet tons of these get broken all the time,

hope you get it fixed before the cracked piece gets lot worse.

phill

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Do you know anybody that has a plastic welder?? We used them years ago on snowmobile hoods that got broke 'cause the tree jumped out.