1997 johnson no oil light

will26354

Recruit
First time with the boat out this summer did not use last summer nor was run any. Got it going and noticed after 5 minutes the water stopped pouring out the hose. Pulled the lower unit and replaced the water pump found the old one broke up. Now when I start it runs great for 45 seconds or so oil light beeps steady for 5 seconds and "no oil" light remains on constant. Smoke from exhaust seems to lessen or stop when this happens. I can turn off wait a few seconds no oil light on and runs good for another 45 seconds. Other then vacuum line backing off 3 years ago and the water pump needing replaced today no porblems with motor in 16 years. Also the oil primer bulb is tight and always has been I have never had to pump it and I bought the boat new

am still getting smoke even after the light and alarm come on it just doesnt seem like the normal amount. It is just being sporatic. I can get it to start and it purrs like a kitten for 2 minutes or so and then it just dies. After that it is hard to start and i have to let it sit for 5 minutes or so. It is either really hard to start with full throttle and choke or I can just turn the key with it in nuetral with no throttle and it fires. Also still getting the no oil beep and light at random times. I am doing all of this in the yard with muffs attached.

Would replacing the VRO be the next step? I am not wanting to do away with it especially since I am trying to sell the boat.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1997 johnson no oil light

While you're trouble shooting this, mix your fuel 50:1.

will26354

Recruit
Re: 1997 johnson no oil light

Would a oil/gas line sucking air also cause for this? It runs good sometimes and seems like something is shutting it down then other times the no oil light comes on and I shut it off. Havent been able to get it to run for more than 4 minutes before one or the other occurs.